Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-Z170XP-SLI No Splash screen on start up, but the repeating text: "Reboot and select proper boot device...

Default GA-Z170XP-SLI No Splash screen on start up, but the repeating text: "Reboot and select proper boot device...

I just installed the GA-Z170XP-SLI MB for a new PC build. I hooked up my SSD drive and a 4 year old bluray drive, and ran an HDMI cable to my 32 TV/Monitor. Then I plugged in a usb mouse and a PS1 keyboard. I put no disk in the bluray to start and just started the PC.

When I 1st started the PC, I saw no GIGABYTE Splash screen, but I saw the following text continuously repeating on the screen: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Anyway I checked all my connections, I rebooted again, and saw the same thing - Repeating Text. Then I rebooted again and hit the DEL key right away a few times and the BIOS loaded. Everything looked ok in the BIOS as far as system health, and I could see my drives & memory etc. I then put my Win 10 Pro media in and it launched, but I did not install it yet.

Next I unplugged my SATA cables and rebooted, and although I saw no splash screen, the BIOS did load directly.
    It does not seem normal for the text continuously repeating on the screen: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

The manual said the splash screen would appear, and I want to make sure this normal behavior as I don't want to risk installing my OEM windows version and activating it.

Is this normal?

Default Re: GA-Z170XP-SLI No Splash screen on start up, but the repeating text: "Reboot and select proper boot device...

Quote Originally Posted by catcher View Post
    I just installed the GA-Z170XP-SLI MB for a new PC build. I hooked up my SSD drive and a 4 year old bluray drive, and ran an HDMI cable to my 32 TV/Monitor. Then I plugged in a usb mouse and a PS1 keyboard. I put no disk in the bluray to start and just started the PC.

When I 1st started the PC, I saw no GIGABYTE Splash screen, but I saw the following text continuously repeating on the screen: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Anyway I checked all my connections, I rebooted again, and saw the same thing - Repeating Text. Then I rebooted again and hit the DEL key right away a few times and the BIOS loaded. Everything looked ok in the BIOS as far as system health, and I could see my drives & memory etc. I then put my Win 10 Pro media in and it launched, but I did not install it yet.

Next I unplugged my SATA cables and rebooted, and although I saw no splash screen, the BIOS did load directly.
    It does not seem normal for the text continuously repeating on the screen: "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

The manual said the splash screen would appear, and I want to make sure this normal behavior as I don't want to risk installing my OEM windows version and activating it.

Is this normal?
    It is acting as if you have no bootable drive on the system. This means that the SSD drive is either incorrectly setup (UEFI vs legacy) or the drive has no OS boot sector setup. If you have no disc in the Blu-ray player that is bootable that will generate the alert if the afore mentioned is true.

I would start by putting a bootable disc in the Blu-ray player first and see if the option to boot from CD as it were comes up. If it does then you can install windows normally on the SSD etc. If you are expecting the SSD to boot then you will need to check the bios to see what setup the drive is in and that it is being recognized at all.

Another thing you can look into is which Sata port the drives are plugged into and if they are disabled in the bios as well.

Default Re: GA-Z170XP-SLI No Splash screen on start up, but the repeating text: "Reboot and select proper boot device...

Yea, all is good, installed Win 10. I may have missed the splash screen since the temporary monitor I am using is a TV via HDMI.

Thread Information