Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 hard locks Linux kernel when intel_iommu is enabled, using 13s BIOS

Default GA-EX58-UD5 hard locks Linux kernel when intel_iommu is enabled, using 13s BIOS

I had an Asus Rampage II Gene which would hard lock every time I enabled the intel_iommu=on kernel paramter in grub.

Given Asus' reputation for broken VT-d support, I began looking for an alternative socket 1366 board. The platform, used, is 25%-50% of the price of the socket 2011 stuff, pound-for-pound.

I picked up a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 because I saw reports on the archlinux forums and on this forum of working VT-d support. Also, I noticed GB had put out a beta BIOS, seemingly just for VT-d support.

So I put the thing together, and wouldn't you know it: the exact same thing happens as with the Asus board.

So far I've tried two different Kernels,. I wanted to try a different distro -- I'm using Debian with the Proxmox Repos and Proxmox Kernels 4.4.? or 4.2.? (which I believe is based on the Ubuntu Kernel) -- but passing the intel_iommu=on parameter seems to do nothing in the non-grub boot loaders used by the ones I've tried thus far.

I've attached one of the pictures I took of the kernel lock on boot. The forum doesn't seem to like the other for some reason.

At this point I'm completely stuck. I'd rather not liquidate this stuff, and go LGA2011. Even then, I've seem people having the same problem. I have a pair of GTX660 that was in both boards, other than that, I'm not sure which component might be causing this.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images GA-EX58-UD5 hard locks Linux kernel when intel_iommu is enabled, using 13s BIOS-img_20160518_151326-jpg 
    Last edited by Furious.George; 05-19-2016 at 05:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 hard locks Linux kernel when intel_iommu is enabled, using 13s BIOS

I got what appears to be a final response on the VFIO mailing list:

I don't think that centos issue is related, that's a DMA alias issue with broken I/O hardware. What you're seeing is a hang in qi_submit_sync(), which is an impossible hang according the hardware specs, but comes up a fair bit more often than never. AIUI, it means that magic, undocumented bits in hardware aren't set the way they should be and you're going to need to hope for a BIOS update, which is all but impossible on a system as old as X58. Good luck :-\
    This is very disappointing :/

Thread Information