Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Random Complete System Freezes

rafamundez is offline Junior Member

Question GA-Z170N-Gaming-5 - Random Complete System Freezes

Hey everyone!

Problem
    The issue I'm having is that my computer freezes randomly at seemingly random times (gaming, idle, browsing, sometimes 10 minutes into using PC, sometimes 5 hours, etc.) forcing me to do a hard restart.

Specs
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA Z170N Gaming 5 (F4 Bios Version)
    CPU: Core i7 6700 GFX: EVGA Titan X
    MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 2400
    STORAGE: Corsair Neutron XT 480GB 2.5" SSD
    WIRELESS: Broadcom BCM94352Z M.2 Wifi/BT
    PSU: Corsair AX860i
    PCPARTPICKER Link: Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB, Enthoo EVOLV ITX Mini ITX Tower

Question I have:
    On the Gigabyte page for the Z170N Gaming 5 MOBO, it lists the Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz on the "Memory Support List" but not the 2400 MHz version that I have. Is it possible that this discrepancy could be causing the system freezes? I feel like because I'm not overclocking, it shouldn't matter but I'm not positive.. I have also tried using the XMP profile and it seemed like that lead to a higher frequency of system freezes (not sure though).

Things I have tried:
    • I have monitored the heat of the CPU and GPU during anything taxing and the temperature never gets above 60 C (both CPU and GPU are liquid cooled ).
    • Updated the BIOS to F4 (latest version) so the issues is not due to the Skylake CPU microcode bug that I've read about. The BIOS settings for the RAM are set to auto (so it's registering at 2133 MHz and isn't overclocked).
    • I've run Furmark GPU Stressor for 10 min to make sure the GPU is stable when it gets taxed a lot, everything went fine.
    • All the drivers for everything are updated to the latest version.
    • Windows Memory Diagnostic tool came back with 0 errors.
    • Looked at Windows Event Viewer, saw that it logged a critical error with Event ID: 41 Source: Kernal-Power. (nothing useful, I'm pretty sure this just means I had to hard restart)

Things I have yet to try:
    • Take everything out but RAM stick #1 in slot 1 and the CPU. Test/reproduce system freeze (if possible).
      • Repeat with RAM stick #1 in slot 2
      • Repeat with RAM stick #2 in slot 1
      • Repeat with RAM stick #2 in slot #2
    • Memtest86+ with 3x passes (I have heard this is a better memory test than the built-in windows memory diagnostic tool but I'm not sure)

I read on a random forum that a few people had issues with Corsair RAM and this particular MOBO so thats why I wanted to test out the RAM sticks extensively first. Aside from that random forum though, I have no clue what else to diagnose or how to go about doing it.

I appreciate any and all help, tips, advice on what to do!

Thanks!
    Last edited by rafamundez; 06-02-2016 at 05:37 AM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Random Complete System Freezes

Welcome to the forum.

To avoid memory incompatibility problems you should always buy a memory kit that is in the motherboard's memory compatibility list or in the memory manufacturer's compatibility list for your motherboard model.

The Corsair Memory Finder only includes two 2 x 16GB kits for your motherboard:

Nearly all memory manufacturers have some sort of memory finder on their website, such as:
    Crucial Memory Advisor for GA-Z170N-Gaming 5, click on the Total Capacity option, then select the 2 x 16GB memory option and be sure to click on their View more compatible memory upgrades tab to show all compatible kits.

The G.Skill Ram Configurator did not have any memory kits for your motherboard.

If necessary, contact the memory manufacturer's tech support to see which kits have been tested with your motherboard.

Let us know which kit you go with and how it works out.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thread Information