Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: F21 upgrade, still some heat issues.

grilledcheez is offline Junior Member

Default F21 upgrade, still some heat issues.

Hello,

Bare with me as I explain. I have a Z170X Gaming 7 board with 6700K. Before upgrading to F20, I was trying to install a new NVMe drive, but was having some issues. I upgraded to F20 to see if that would help. It did, but then there was the bug with the voltage issue. Heat problems out the wazooh.

F21 finally was just released. I installed it and I could tell right away my computer was acting more normal. I still had some heat issues going on. So I took my H100i GTX off and sure enough the high heat turned the stock thermal paste to clay.

I had some Artic Silver 5 laying around, so I cleaned up my cooler and my processor with some rubbing alcohol. Applied the new thermal paste and turned my rig back on. My temps were back to normal, and even better. Idle was down to 22-25C, before all the issues my normal idle was 25-28. Gaming stayed at 60C. Seemed like the new thermal paste worked.

Fast forward a few weeks to the present now. My temps are slowly now creeping back up, I'm now idling at 30C. Doing web surfing or windows updates is hitting up to 80C. Gaming my temps will hit the 90s (momentarily), but then somehow stabilize and run an average 65C after a few minutes. My vcore voltage isn't passing 1.308v. Not sure what to make of this.

Is there still a lingering issue in F21 (Not nearly as bad as F20)? Is the thermal paste I used maybe expired (no date on it, but I've had it a few years)? Any settings I can attempt to adjust in BIOS??

Thanks for any help in advance.

~grilled

grilledcheez is offline Junior Member

Default Re: F21 upgrade, still some heat issues.

I just noticed that in my BIOS, where my Fan Speed settings are, I have the CPU set for Full Speed, which is where my Pump is plugged into. However, it only maxes showing 1660RPM and then if I sit in BIOS my temps start to really rise. Once loaded into Windows I can go to Corsair Link and I see that my pump is operating at 3030-3090 RPM, which is max speed in corsair link and then my temps will come down after getting hot in BIOS.

I'm starting to wonder if my BIOS fan settings are throwing something off. I don't know how I would fix it though, I can't adjust RPMs in the Speed Control in BIOS, I can only set Full Speed to max it out.

Any thoughts?

Thread Information