Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How to boot Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard with a 4 TB NTFS volume on WD HC310 HDD?

Default Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H MB with a WD HC310 HDD freezes during POST in AHCI mode

Hi. :)

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard and I purchased a WD HC310 (0B35948 HUS726T4TALN6L4) HDD.

After I created a 4 TB NTFS volume, the PC cannot pass the POST (just freezes).

If I detach the new HDD, start the PC and then hotplug the new HDD, it's working fine. But it's not really convenient to uplug/replug the HDD each time the PC starts.

If I choose "IDE" mode of the SATA controller, PC starts OK, but the performance is worse.

How do I use the new HDD with 4TB NTFS volume in AHCI mode?

P.S. Found similar issue, not solved: SATA HDD freezes BIOS POST - Works fine Hot Swap after | Tom's Hardware Forum

UPDATE1: neither MBR or GPT without any created volumes work, still freezes on POST. Only uninitialized disk can pass the POST.

UPDATE2: PC can pass the POST in RAID mode. Doesn't seem like a solution.
    Last edited by Tacis; 2 Weeks Ago at 10:07 PM.

Default Re: How to boot Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard with a 4 TB NTFS volume on WD HC310 HDD?

Update: neither MBR or GTP without any created volumes work, still freezes on POST. Only uninitialized disk can pass the POST.
    Last edited by Tacis; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:20 AM.

Default Re: How to boot Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard with a 4 TB NTFS volume on WD HC310 HDD?

UPDATE: neither MBR or GTP without any created volumes work, still freezes on POST. Only uninitialized disk can pass the POST.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Try raid mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Try raid mode.
    RAID mode works. But how do I boot in AHCI mode?

Tested same HDD with GA-B250M-D3H - POST passed successfully in AHCI mode.

How do I make the POST pass in AHCI mode with this HDD with GA-Z97X-UD3H?

I really want to avoid unnecessary upgrade (I have 3 of GA-Z97X-UD3H).

Anybody? Please?

This is what I have from official techsupport: How to boot Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard with a 4 TB NTFS volume on WD HC310 HDD?-screencapture-esupport-gigabyte-2020-03-23-23_16_55-png

Thread Information