Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have no idea... NEED HELP PLEASE!

I don't think this is the right thread but I'll just post here anyway and you guys can tell me if I messed up or not. But I'll tell you my problem. Whenever I go to download a large file, I'm talking about 1-2gb from stuff like bit torrent (for those of you who don't know it's used to download movies and tv shows, games) and Mirc after X amount of time my computer automatically reboots on me. A friend said that something might be overheating, and to check the fans, my case fans, so I did, but they're all working. This didn't always happen either, when I first got the computer I didn't have problems downloading anything, then one day it just happened. So I don't know what to do. Any advice? Thanks.
    Enermax Case 300w
    Albatron KX400-8X
    AMD 1800+ XP
    512mb PC2700 RAM
    40gb WD 7200rpm w/ 8mb cache
    Albatron GF4 Ti4200 Turbo 128mb
    Windows XP Home

If it was an overheating problem it would occur any time you left your comp on for a long period of time, not just when u download things, just to be sure try checking ur temps in bios immediately after it reboots. Otherwise what changes have u made around the time this started happening? :cheers:

I don't really remember what was going on around the time it started happening. I had played around with overclocking, but after it happened I bumped everything down again. Initially I had just upped the vid card and mem. I don't know if any software settings like with windows could cause this problem, but it is getting to be bothersome.
    Enermax Case 300w
    Albatron KX400-8X
    AMD 1800+ XP
    512mb PC2700 RAM
    Windows XP Home

Try the following in any order:

1. Download a temperature monitoring program such as Motherboard Monitor. If your CPU temp is above 60 Celcius, than you better do something about it!
    2. Memtest86 v3.0 Download the .iso file, and burn it! If you have faulty memory it could screw things up... But probably not reboot your computer.
    3. Check your PSU. My friend used to have this problem, and it turned out to be his faulty Antec 420 watt Power Supply. (And he was bragging about that big ugly POS case... Well actually it is a nice case...)
    4. Scan for Virii
    5. Update all drivers to latest official drivers
    6. See if there are no IRQ conflicts causing serious weird-arse problems!
    7. Latest BIOS.
    8. Turn your computer sideways, and ghetto-drop it 23.7 times in 30 minutes. After that shout 'friggin-darn!' Then drop a deuce on that POS box, and start swearing :hammer: :p

Most likely it is your PSU, or Motherboard. If you have a tempurature monitoring program built into your BIOS, it could be turning off. Also a 3rd party monitoring program could do that, like MM. Firstly try software stuff. Reinstall the operating system if all else fails (Software wise.) Then go to hardware. Like I said it is 90% your PSU if it is hardware....

BTW: BitTorrent Rules! :bounce:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

I'm trying out your suggestions right now, but have a few questions:

1.) I have motherboard monitor, and my cpu isn't over 40 idle, not really sure about stress, but i'm sure it doesn't go about 60, or even close to it.

2.) Trying Memtest right now.

3.) Is there anyway to test my PSU? It came with the case, 300w, and I'm running what is in my sig, along with 3 case fans, and 1 cdrw drive, used to be 2 drives, 1 cdrw and a cd-rom, but no longer.

4.) No viruses.

5.) All drivers are the new.

6.) What are IRQ conflicts? How would I check those? Under the system properties maybe?

7.) I have the latest bios. I will also check with the mobo manufacturer to see if there are any known problems like this.

Thanks for the help.
    Enermax Case 300w
    Albatron KX400-8X
    AMD 1800+ XP
    512mb PC2700 RAM
    Windows XP Home

I must've done something wrong with the memtest 86, because I burned it, or so I thought, but my pc wouldn't boot off it. I have cd-rom as the first device also.
    Enermax Case 300w
    Albatron KX400-8X
    AMD 1800+ XP
    512mb PC2700 RAM
    Windows XP Home

Make sure you burn the .iso file as an image and not a data CD. Good luck!:thumb:
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

what cd burning software are you using?

you don't drag and drop an .iso onto a cd, it's a cd image and has to be burned accordingly

your system problem could be your memory, which can cause random reboots

have you installed any software recently?
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Which anti virus Program are you using?
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

OK, I got it burned right, and was just running it, but it was taking forever and I had to do other stuff on the computer. I was up to test 6 of 11 with no problems. I don't know if it was is a software thing. Like I said I added another stick of 256mb pc2700, but it was the exact same one as I bought before. So maybe just luck of the draw. I'll run the test again tomorrow.
    Enermax Case 300w
    Albatron KX400-8X
    AMD 1800+ XP
    512mb PC2700 RAM
    Windows XP Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information