Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: wierd problem

sorry to post a question as my first post but i am desperate and i will contribute to the forums if my comp ever works again :D

for some seemingly random reason, my comp has started throwing some wierd errors.

when i boot, after the post, it will blue screen saying

*windows protection error
    *you need to restart your computer
    *system halted

somtimes above this message it will say
    "while initialising device NTKERN" ...

if i try to boot in safe mode, my puter immediately turns itself off!!

i disabled the quick POST in the bios, and when it counts my memory, it gets half way through then just shows the assumed level, (260 MB)
    it then shows my drives and then stops saying
    "memory test failed"

could it be my memory?

and i can press f1 to continue of del to go to bios.

about twice so far, i can get it to load windows but then it just restarts after about 10 secs.

im sure my comp has timed this now that i have a load of end of year reports due in,

can anyone help me!?

how many sticks of memory do you have?? if you have 2 or more try taking them out and just trying with one stick or if you have one stick try a different slot and see what happens. If it failes the memory test then there is something wrong with the ram probobly but until you test it out you cannot be 100% sure. also how much ram do you have?? when actualy counting what should be on the sticks, also do you have an onboard video card??

thanks 4 your reply,

i have one stick of ram, i will try it in another slot tonight, also i will borrow some from a friend and see if that works,

it is 256mb pc2100, it seems to stop counting at about 190mb and jumb to 256mb

i dont have onboard vga,

ill try to keep u updated, any more suggestions are greatly appreciated.

what i would do is google memtest86 and create a floppy disk to check the ram. if mem doesn't check out then unplug everything from the mobo other than floppy disk, video card , processor fan, and memory then try it again. even though memory tests indicate mem failure it still may be other components (like psu). let us know how you make out.

One bad point is that ya give us no details on ya hardware but if you are able to get into the BIOS then if possible increase the voltage to the memory by 0.1 volt or if not then slow the memory timings. Another thing can be that summer is on it's way to you and things are gettin' warm it just maybe time to clean the furballs out of the case.

thanks for all your help guys,

i tried changing the voltages and ram latencys and stuff but that wasnt it,

i tried the ram in a new slot - same problem

a friends ram in the original slot - all is well :cool:

this would seem pretty conclusive and i shall be getting my dad to send some ram up to me at uni, just cheap stuff so i can get it running and get my work done, then i will buy some new stuff for myself,

thanks for all your help guys, i will be back :p

seems to me that it be a memory gap or something at 190mb, at least ya got it figured out:thumb:

OK guy's a low watage PSU that is saggin' will also give ya the same error reports so it'll be good if ya give us ya full hardware details.

Ha! I've got 350w PSU's here that won't boot a Duron system but will boot an older PIII system. :D

My 350W runs this 8RGA+ 3fans and a cathode.

Thread Information