Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: CD tray does not want to stay closed

Any bright ideas as to why my Phillips CDR/RW wants to keep the "cup holder" out?? After replacing a couple of my case fans and dusting out my case I booted up and my tray no longer wanted to stay closed. I can push the eject button and drive will close then immediately reopen. Manual closing does the same thing unless I hold the door closed for a few seconds (prolly a bad thing to do). Device manager reports no problem but the thing will not stay closed long enough to read a disk so I'm guessing that writting to it is not worth even trying

The fans that I exchanged were daisy chained with my CDRW power supply but I have tried removing them altogether (as well as checking my molnex connectors visually) to no effect. I did have a fair dust storm when I cleaned the case .... is it possible that dust in my CDRW would cause this? Not sure if it was a good idea but I have also tryed dusting the inside of my drive with my handy little air can from the front opening.

Am wondering if there are any simple solutions before I decide to be stupid and perform an autopsy/surgery on it with my screwdriver and/or frameing hammer??
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

If it was a Diamond Data I'd say that that's the usual sign of death (part of the PCB has burnt out inside). :(

Thanks for the encouragement Wiggo :cry: . Guess I'll prolly wait untill tomorrow to have a look at the insides of my CDRW and see if there is anything obviously wrong in there. Not likely that I'll be able to fix it but at this stage I can't hurt it much.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

WTF! My parents dvd rom drive have started to act exakt the same way.. :eek:

I closed it, then it said "**** you a-hole" and opened itself again.. We keept arguing for about 10-12 in and outs before I lost my temper and decided to leave..

But I can tell ya it came pretty close to degenerate into some sort of super glue incident there.. :mad:

:cheers:

The__tweaker if your problem deteriorates to a super glue incident let me know how it works out. :laugh: Once I've completed my post mortum on this one I may need to glue the pieces back together in order to fill the hole in my case ... not sure if a replacement is in the budget right now.

Post mortum completed. No obvious problems within the drive but the fact is that it is dead! Local tech's best guess was that there may have been a static buildup as a result of the dust/cleaning that killed the internal components (just a guess on his part and he made that clear). Replaced the poor old thing with a LG GCE-8520 52x24x52x for $100 Canadian.

Just finished looking up the new drive on the net ... PC World rated it #2 of the top 10 CD-RW drives for their June 2003 report. Guess I did alright!

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    Replaced the poor old thing with a LG GCE-8520 52x24x52x for 0 Canadian.
    Yes that is a nice burner, I just installed an LG 48x burner in my mother in laws computer.. It was about $47-48 us.

:cheers:

Hmmm, had the same problem at school. All I did was get tape and tape it down, worked well.:smokin:

Thread Information