Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WinXP random 'skips' problem. I'm stumped.

Well, I just installed 98se on a old HD, and everything works wonderfully. I even installed the newest 4 in 1's, and they were fine as well.

That rules out hardware flaws.

So now we're down to some kind of software conflict with the software native to XP? Maybe my 4 in 1's, w/XP, w/my hardware, is the problem.

I guess I will do a fresh install of XP and see if the problem exists before I install the 4 in 1's.

But any suggestions as to whats causing the Event log errors in that screenshot would be a BIG help.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Maybe one of the software experts will have a better answer for that event log as I don't atm. :shrug:

I'm positive that this problem is caused by the 4 in 1 drivers, at least that seem like the most likely culprit. I have nearly the same hardware profile as you and I'm not using the 4 in 1s, because they are not designed for XP. I'm sure that's why XP is having that error.
    <Font size=2>"The demand to restrict technology is the demand to restrict man's mind" -- Ayn Rand
    <a style="text-decoration: none" href="http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/cord">
    <font color=blue><font face="Century Gothic" size="6">My Web Site</a></font>

first of all i must say...u r hell of a man...:thumb:
    u tried everything that u cd have and i love such persons.
    since i m not much of a hardware guy but abt those errors in event viewer...well just double click on it and it will tell u what the problem is.

since it is saying that it is from service control manager...i can just make a guess that it is related to a service and most probably some networking related thing.
    u might be having a badly configured network card (if u have one ofcourse). to be sure...just double click the error and read it carefully. the error will be self explanatory and u will be able to know what service is causing troubles.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Well, I've got XP re-installed, WITH the 4 in 1's, and I have not had the problem reoccur, yet. I did however experience one random restart. I wasn't doing anything except I had a few IE windows open, and poof, the system restarted. I have NEVER had that happen before. Nothing was logged in the event logger, so no idea what caused it.

Cord, the 4 in 1's ARE made for XP. (but I did use a slightly newer version 4 in 1's, so maybe a bug was fixed by VIA in the mean time.

-------

I did have one error occur in event logger as I installed things, the message read that my firmware was too old. It did not clarify the type of device though? Should I persue updating the firmware of my vid card? network card? and so on?

Everything is working, minus that error, and the random reboot. But I am kind of anal about stability, and if updating my firmware adds 0.1% stability, i want to do it.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information