Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DISC i need help!

aRGHHH! My computers been destroyed!!! Hey guys im currently in the computer labs at my uni because my computer won't boot up properly :( Its the first major error i have had :( But i know you guys are really good and helpin peeps so i reckon i will be back to revision soon ; )

Problem: Computer Loads up to "start in safe mode e.t.c" screen, no matter what option i click i will recieve a blue screen with "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DISC" error. With advice on how to cure it which includes booting in safe mode - which makes this screen pop up, disable bios caching and shadowing - which i tried and also didn't work.

My computer was working fine, i haven't installed any new equipment or software. However my computer started going really slow and in my haste to turn it off i just switched it off without the usual shutdown process (shock horror - im never doing that again ;) )

AMD Athlon XP2000+ (Socket A) OEM (CP-018-AM)
    Abit KX7-333 RAID (Socket A motherboard)
    Akasa AK-821 2q Silent Cooler
    Crucial 256MB DDR PC2700 CAS-2.5
    Western Digital Caviar 80GB special edition
    Coolercase Tornado
    ASUS- V8420 TD 128MB Geforce 4 Ti4200(AGP)
    450watt Power suppy
    Novatech CDRW 48x 12xRW 40XR int ide
    Novatech floppy 3.5"
    Creative audigy soundcard - 68

WINDOWS XP PRO OS

any help would be much appreciated as im currently in my exams and all my notes are on that computer :steam: CHEERS

ta ta

Have ya been to WD's website and downloaded their diagnostic software to test the hard drive? :?:

are you sure its UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DISC and not UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

i've had the latter before and this is microsoft's solution
    Damaged File System
    If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged.

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

To do this, use the following steps:
    1. Start your computer with the Windows startup disks, or with the Windows CD-ROM if your computer can start from the CD-ROM drive.
    2. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to select the repair option.
    3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the Windows installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
    4. Type the administrator password when you are prompted to do so.

NOTE: If no administrator password exists, press ENTER.
    5. At the command prompt, on the drive where Windows is installed, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.
    6. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.For additional information about how to use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    314058 Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console

If this procedure does not work, repeat it and use the fixboot command in step 5 instead of the chkdsk /r command.

I'm sure you've checked this already... but there isn't a disk in the floppy drive is there?

Thanks for all that info, that sounds like what i need to do, i however have a problem accessing XP pro recovery console. I have no setup discs but i have downloaded some boot disks - but now when i load these discs i recieve and error which says

cdrom.sys file corrupted

thus i cannot complete the setup process and gain access to the recovery console :cry: Is there any other way, cause im sure the above will work! Its sooo annoying that there seems to be no option to load into the recovery console without using the discs :(

Any ideas?

ta ta

borrow a winXP CD from someone, somebody must have one? Check with the tech dept of your universtiy, sometimes they will loan CDs to students (at least they do here)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I would check to see if u have the bootvorus detection enbaled in the bios. Sometimes odd tingslike this can come from boot sector viruses.

imo before you try anything...just take that HD to a frnds place and back up those notes or else you might be screwed.
    you can try getting your system back later but at this time of exams you need those notes and not your PC.

about recovery console, well you can't do without a setup disk. that is where XP will take the system files from, so that it can recover your install. minibubba's advice is quite right that borrow a CD, especially when the drivers of your cdrom (cdrom.sys) are corrupted!
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thanks for your all of your help guys! I got it working! I borrowed a friends setup disc for home and it worked, accessed pro e.t.c

I can't belive it only took 5 mins to get setup and check the hard drive then 3 secs to replace the file. Works perfect ;) Is there anyway i can prevent this error happening again?

Ta Ta

:thumb: : peace2: :laugh: :wave:

oooo i saw i did it a different way to what andy said, when at the recovery console i typed chkdsk /p,
    then fixboot, y and exit :)

ta ta

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information