Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard / Processor

I have been having issues with my desktop for a long time now, and have given up trying to fix it, and now going to try again. I built this computer myself, so there is no tech support or anything to call. The problems I have been having are corrupt files, the inability to install Windows XP (even when trying to reformat the whole hard drive), games crashing when I try to play them, websites having glitches on them that are glitch free when using my laptop. Some things I have been trying has been : replacing the whole hard drive with a brand new one, many formats, replacing video cards and sound cards. Basically this leaves the mother board and the processor that I haven't been able to replace. Im wondering if there is any diagnostic programs or techniques that I could use to check on these. Also, I'm willing to just hire someone to fix it, or bring it to a shop like CompUSA or Fry's or something, but I'd rather learn to fix it myself. Any suggestions?

I should probably post some specs to my machine....

Videocard is NVidia GeForce2 Mx/Mx 400

Soundcard is Sound Blaster Audio PCI

512 MB Ram

Windows 98

motherboard is EPoX 8KHA+ DDR Mainboard

processor is 1.2 AMD Athalon

If there is any other information that would be useful to help me, please tell me.

Beefy Guest

Just one question: Why won't XP install?

There are always corrupt files off the CD (I have tried 3 seperate *legal* versions of Windows XP, both Pro and Home). It is either the files were copied incorrectly, or they are corrupt, or missing, or a variety of messages that pop up when I install. I have tried two different CD players also, an HP CD-RW and a standard CD drive.

Those varied errors seem to me to be ram related.

go to http://www.utilitygeek.com/details.php?fileid=138 adn download the memtest86. It will runa a test to tell u if u have bad ram or not. U need to load onto a floppy and run in DOS mode.

Anyone know how long this program is supposed to take to complete? It successfully loaded during reboot, and now its been going for about half hour with no end in sight..... I can hear my computer thinking, and it has a column of numbers and letters that are "twitching" right now.

This program will run indefinetly. It will show u each run that it has passed until u reboot.

So it will never finish one test? How do I stop it and see results?

never mind on that one ..... read closely into the read me and found that the floppy disk had a read error. =P

10. Default

Ya know I wonder about XP myself, I tried to load it on my MB and was getting funky errors like that as well and even took it to a shop and let them try and they couldn't do it either. I went over to the the XP website and it showed that my MB was compatible but yet couldn't get the sucker to load....either way W2K is fine with me but found it odd that XP couldn't load.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information