Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: ack, i cant get past POST

ok i have a pretty new system that has been working fine, until today. yesterday i took everything out of it to install 2 new fans. I have an Antec Lanboy case, and i just drilled a blowhole up top and an intake into the window, so now i have 4 case fans, the psu fan, and the proc fan. then, i unmounted the heatsink, a thermaltake volcano 11 xaser, and carefully cleaned it and the cpu die with isopropyl alochol. I lapped the heatsink, applied artic silver 3 (before this i had been using not so great thermal paste) and remounted the heatsink. this all seemed to go ok. Also, i reversed the direction of the volcano's fan while i was doing this, because i have exausts pretty much right above it, so i figured having hte fan pulling air through the heatsink would be better than it pushing air down thorugh it....correct me if im wrong though please. anyway- I put everything back in, cable it all up again-- and it wont boot up. the power comes on, all my fans turn.....but i get no display, and POST doesnt beep at all. At first i thought it was just a video problem, but then i realized POST would have beeped a special code for that. so I rechecked all my internal and external cabling , and all parts look to be seated properly...although im reluctant to unmount the heatsink yet again to see if maybe this is a cpu problem, which im worried it seems to be. im also thinking it might be a power problem, since i added the new fans? i have an antec 350W psu. but i tried unplugging the new fans and even a hard drive and no difference. any ideas? did i somehow screw up my cpu? :( thanks

Reversin' the Volcano's fan is bad plus while ya did the job ya didn't happen to reverse it's clip as well did ya? :?:

heh no, i didnt reverse the clips. sorry bout the long rambling post btw, it was late and i was pissed. today i unmounted the heatsink and turned the fan back around, and the cpu doesnt smell like it overheated and it looks the same as it did before ....so it probably ddnt overheat? i was thinking, if it had overheated i would have at least gotten something of a bootup the first time...but i dunno. plus my mobo is supposed to have auto shutdown stuff for high temps. any other ideas on what to do? oh yeah also, the thermal paste didnt look like the heatsink had been pressed down all the way onto the cpu die....like it looked like they touched, but hadnt displaced as much paste as i think it should have. i DID mount it right.....but is it possible after unmounting and remounting the thing a couple times, the clips could have gotten looser or something?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, buddy, but if that heatsink isn't dispersing hardly any gunk, then, for the sake of a few more :2cents: worth of paste, I think you are looking at dispersing out a few more $s for a small square object that is underneath that h/sink ...... :steam: :2cents:

Before that though, disconnect everything that goes to the MOBO, inc all ribbon cables, extra fans, bar a Vid card and as Wiggo said, reconnect your CPU fan direct to the PSU and if you have one, use a small 4MBS3 Virge or similar type graphics card, because an AGP Slot may be with a non properly seated G/Card, and a PCI slot isn't so picky, and so now you'll have everything else isolated from the MOBO bar its ATX and G/Card, and the MOBO at the case connector pins, and try and boot that, and if that doesn't give a show, and/or sound, and just before you start to despair, you didn't mention your memory, but if you have two sticks in, and they are as recommended for that board, pull one out, and then try the other, and if that fails, then it's sorry my friend, but it's, back to the top of the page ...... Oh, one more thing you can check, is that you don't have a riser, ( one of those brass pegs the MOBO screws too ), isn't touching an area it shouldn't, and actually that test should be tried completely outside of the case, if possible .....

If it's back to the T-O-T-P, then look at it this way ..... I've been through it, am still going through it, just as probably 99% of the I can do this Homebuilders, here in this Forum, have been through it too .... Jion the Club, we'll try and make your welcome as warm as possible .... :cheers:
    Great thing about flying a desktop, is that CASA ( Civil Aviation Safety Authority ) can't touch ya no matter how many times you crash and burn !!!!!! HIC HIC

Cheers 4 now from Downunder,
    Desktop Pilot

Thread Information