Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Internet browser/email wont work

1. Default

Went over to friends house to see what I could do for them, they've gotta Dell Dimension pc, no viruses, cleaned up a sh*tload of spyware...that was unreal, adaware found over 200+....anywhoos....IE/outlook express doesnt work, I loaded Opera, same deal. However, what I found peculiar was that I got an FTP program to run and connected to my own server at my house while I was there and even d/l'd some files I forgot to put on a cd I needed to check hers out, so the TCP/IP shouldn't be faulty right? Where else should I look for this?

fergot to mention that when I reset up the email client it says the pop server could not be found.....and for web browser, just says cannot locate...

Beefy Guest

Check their internet settings / connection settings. It could be set up so the computer is looking for a proxy server or some other connection that isn't there. I've seen spyware hi-jack browsers in this way before...

any chance the hosts file is involved here?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

did you connect to the ftp server by name or IP address? if it was by IP then maybe you have a DNS problem. Check the ISP's website for their DNS settings and put them in for the dialup/lan connection (esp if they are with smellstra)

Have also seen personal firewalls like norton internet security or zonealarm do this, try removing any of those.
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

5. Default

will check for proxy setting beefy thank you,

as for ftp I was using name, not IP address

Mr C what are host files?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueyes
    Mr C what are host files?
    i back Mr. C on that
    go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and look for HOSTS file.
    open it with notepad and look for any instance to a site that yuo are trying to connect to.
    all the IP's mentioned in there are blocked by windows.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information