Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: system32?

When I start my computer, I log in with my password and my computer makes a wierd sound, then it waits about 30 seconds and when it goes to the main Windows screen there's an error that says something about C:\windows\system32\system32.exe and about how i don't have the proper permission to access it or something. I tried accessing it through MS-DOS and it said "Access Denied". What is going on?????!!!!

can u copy the whole error?

if it is reallly bothering u, and ur computer has no important files, then i think u can just format the whole HD.
    My new gaming rig..

[size=1.28]asus a78nx-deluxe
    2x256mb pc 3200 ddr 400.(with cooling)
    athlon Xp 2500+ ( at 200x10=2000mhz .)
    seagate 80gb 8mb SATA
    Tt vlocano 7+ cpu cooling
    Clear case from HK.
    Leaktek fx5600 128mb
    enermax 350w PSU
    wireless internet setup[/size]

(game/ftp server) windows xp pro, duron 1.4ghz, 256mb pc 2100 2x40gb Hd, radeon 9200se chieftec dragon
    canada price watch :)

I've formatted my HD so many times I've lost track... and I just got my computer all customized just how I want it for the first time lol, so I think I just might reinstall windows.

I ran Norton AntiVirus and found 185 infected files... I got a worm :( So I deleted all the items that were infected, and a new message comes up when I start Windows... still the system32 crap, though. Here's the error:

1. goto Run prompt in the Start Menu, type "regedit" and click OK
    2. under EDIT tab select Find, type "system32.exe" and click OK
    3 you are at a value called Shell. Right click on Shell and select Modify. paste
    this string in the field
    C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
    4. click OK and you are done. just close Registry Editor.

copied from the post at;
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1055179757

I believe that will fix you up, if not - let us know?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Holy crap you're a genius... you should be getting paid for this lol.

Glad that worked:thumb:

Typical of a virus to place a "trigger" so to speak, to make sure it is run each time the operating system starts.
    Some go for the .bat file, some for an .ini file - this one likes to use the registry.

Hope you didn't suffer much damage from this rascal:steam:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

I don't think that when I started up was the trigger... because that system32 error came up after I installed Norton. Norton must have messed something up :o

I think that the worm came from an mp3 I downloaded a couple weeks ago; I opened it and it said it couldn't be loaded or something... must have been a virus :mad:

Thanks for the help, again!: peace:

Something I've noticed with norton is it tends to delete system files without telling me. I know you can change that but its just poor design to allow it to delete a system file without a warning or anything. That could have been your case.

I was just thinking that very same thing...

What exactly is system32.exe anyhoo?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv3n
    I was just thinking that very same thing...

What exactly is system32.exe anyhoo?
    The name of the file containing the virus/trojan/worm/bot (whatever it was, you never really said?).

It sounds like this one;
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...ot.f.worm.html

But, it may have been another malware entirely as I think "system32.exe" has been used before and likely will again.

Thread Information