Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Modem is conflicting with something, perhapse mobo/cpu or vi

Hello... I have a strange problem that i can't seem to figure out.
    I recently upgraded my system considerably with a new motherboard, new ram, and a spankin new GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256mb video card. (And yes, for the time being i must still use an old dialup modem due to location.)

The problem i am now having (that i didnt have before this upgrade) is slight glitches when playing ONLINE games. The nature of the glitches will be a very quick skip/stall in both sound and graphics that happens so fast you wonder if its just your mind playing tricks on you. These happen randomly at different times, and it is as annoying as hell (although it doesnt impair gameplay significantly). I have noticed that i have been lagging ping wise slightly more as well.

I tested some things, and i was able to determine that this problem happens ONLY when i am connected to my ISP and the modem is in use. I can run the same games without the modem connected and it runs 100% smoothly. I should also point out that this happens even when running SINGLE PLAYER games with the modem connected, (IE: games that are not dependent on lag or connection speed of any kind, or related to the connection at all, yet the glitch still occurs if the modem is in use.)

Some things i have tried have been:
    -Re-installing modem.
    -Re-installing ISP (AoL 8.0)
    -Re-installing video card.
    -Moving modem to a different PCI slot to change IRQ.
    -Setting all bios/CPU and Video Card overclocking back to default settings.

My hardware:
    -Asus P4P800 Intel 865PE Chipset FSB 800mhz motherboard
    -Intel P4 1.8ghz
    -Nvidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256mb video card
    -one 512 stick of Kingston HyperX DDR ram
    -Conextant HSF V92 56k RTAD Speakerphone PCI modem
    -Creative Sound Blaster Live! sound card.
    -(note that this new motherboard has an onboard 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940) network adapter that i currently have on disabled status)

Any help or ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering reformatting my harddrive and seeing if that clears things up, however i'd like to see if anyone knows whats wrong before i try that. Thx~

Oh yea... and here are my current IRQ settings:

10 Intel(R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3
    11 Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller - ICH5
    16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
    16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
    16 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
    17 SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    18 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
    19 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
    20 VIA OHCI Complaint IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    21 Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
    22 Conextant HSF V92 56k RTAD Speakerphone PCI Modem
    23 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI For Complete PC Management NIC(3C905C-TX)
    23 VIA VT6410 IDE RAID Controller

Im not sure, but it wouldnt surprise me one bit if it was just AOL doing that.

ROFL... omfg....!

I just installed a new ISP, (ATT Worldnet) and used a friend's account to log on and test it out... and everything worked 100 % fine. It is obviously AOL that is giving me ****. Man, now i gotta switch isp's lol.

What im wondering though, is HOW is it AOL that is doing that? I mean, sure, aol is a ****ty connection, but how can it affect programs that arent even related to an internet connection (single player games)? And I REINSTALLED aol twice, and everything. I've used it for 2 years before this and never a problem, then I install some new hardware and AOL goes ape****?? Is that even possible that a program such as AOL could simply "not jive" with my new GeForce FX 5900 Ultra, Asus motherboard, or HyperX DDR ram? WTF lol~

Maybe ill call AOL tech support (aka Turd Slinging Monkeys with Software Manuals). /sigh ***** AoL*

Thread Information