Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Keeps powering down

Need some help! My pc keeps shutting down and will no longer boot all the way up. This is what I have.

AMD XP 2400
    Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra
    Msi GForce4 4200 AGP 8x
    256meg RAM
    WD 80gig Hard drive
    OS Micro Soft XP Corp

I built the pc back in Jan and it has been running great. the other day while surfing the internet it just powered down. The only way I can get it to enter the BIOS is by resetting the BIOS jumper. I thought it could have been a heat problem but the pc is running a a steady 36 deg Cel. I have even reflashed the BIOS, I have tried to repair the OS but it still shuts down at different points during the repair operation. I appears to power down when accessing the CD Rom drive, which I have already swapped out and it did not help. Another thing I have noticed. If I remove the power from the power supply and let it sit for a while and then plug everythin back in. I can get it to boot to the desktop and shortly after that it will power itself back down and the will not boot past the BIOS until I reset the Bios or unplug the power and let it sit for a little while. I'm starting to think it is the power supply. Can anybody give me some advice. Thanks

im no expert on this subject but it sound as though there may be a short somewhere because a short would cause the PSU to cut out and need resetting by disconnecting the power lead
    if you have access to another power supply you could try using that

That is my problem, the only etra power supply is for an old Intel motherboard. I didn't want to go and drop $60 or so on a new PS if I didn't need to.

I really don't see how you have much choice...you could take it to a shop to see if they could repair it, but that will very likely cost as much as a new PSU
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Well when it comes to money, My Dad would say that I was tighter than a crabs ass and it water tight. I just hate buying part just to trouble shoot a problem. But at this point I have no choice.

then wait a little bit and see if someone has a better idea, but I don't think you have much choice except to replace the PSU
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

just borrow a friends power supply

What's the brand and ratin' of the PSU? :?:

I'd use a 430W one as a minimum anyway with that setup.

It is made by Turbolink and is rated at 420w. It came with my SOHO Aluminim server case

Whats the wattage on the 3.3V and 5V rails combined? Also the 12V rail

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information