Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange problem with Cd drive

OK, I was LANing with some friends when my CDRW drive starting flipping out. It would go in and out as if something was hitting the eject button. I unplugged the network cable and the problem stopped. Normally I have a firewall up but I had it disabled at the time. I restarted my comp and plugged the cable back in and it seemed to cure the problem.

*flash forward a few days*

Now, whenever i disable the firewall when i'm on the internet, my CD drive will start to do this again. Not right away but eventually. This bothered me some much that I bought a new CDRW drive and have completely unhooked the old one. I have yet to experience this problem again, but I have not disabled the firewall for fear of this happening again.

Can anyone tell me how I can cure this "possesed" drive?
    If you need more info, just let me know.

it sounds like it may be a virus
    a mate of mine had that problem after getting infected by the kryptonic ghost virus (a gay msn virus) have you tried running a virus scan?

I have run norton several times but it found nothing.

i dont think it would be a virus, cause once the virus gets past the firewall the first time and into the system, it doesnt do anything with internet traffic throught the router
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Good point!

As this phenomenon does not occur while the system is protected by a firewall, I'm thinking along the lines of trojan rather than virus.

Try Spybot Search & Destroy;
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/

Adaware would be an additional resource to consider.

AV software isn't always geared for malware other than viruses. Just my opinion of course, but Norton is a rather lacking solution at best anyway.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

All this talk of trojans has me thinking. Everyonce in a while, Internet Security will pop up and tell me that someone attempted to hack my comp with a backdoor trojan or something like that. I downloaded Adware and it out about 70 different files that were "bad" for lack of a better word. I'll put my other CDRW drive back in and let you all know how things go.

Keep your fingers crossed.

You may also want to try the trial version of The Cleaner
    http://www.moosoft.com/ . It hunts for trojans only.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

I think someone from the LAN party got onto your computer. Made themselves a backdoor and trys to "play" with you when online (i.e. when your firewall is down)

I've never seen it happen, but thats what i think anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.KBD87
    All this talk of trojans has me thinking. Everyonce in a while, Internet Security will pop up and tell me that someone attempted to hack my comp with a backdoor trojan or something like that. I downloaded Adware and it out about 70 different files that were "bad" for lack of a better word. I'll put my other CDRW drive back in and let you all know how things go.

Keep your fingers crossed.
    WAIT!!!!!
    Before you do that, Kazaa loads a !@#$-load of Ad-ware onto your computer. So, if you have kazaa, u have to be careful not to delete the "Cydoor" Files. There should be about 6 of them. If you are using Ad-Aware, delete the ones that have a piture of building blocks stacked on top of each other looking pic, but keep the 3 other ones with a pic of files and folders.
    Other wise, kazaa wont load.
    But you can delete all the other stuff.
    Note: Those 3 Cydoor files get loaded back onto ur comp each time u restart KaZaA. If you run Win2K, then you wont beable to type in any exploer.exe based programs without it crashing
    <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Bottom line;
    If you run Kazaa, you have no respect whatsoever for you PC.
    Additionally, if you know what Kazaa does then you show a blatant disregard for all users of the internet.

Anyone who runs such malware willingly is not playing with a full deck.
    It is a scourge, a plague and a miscreant of the highest order.

If it were to cobble your system so bad that it no longer was able to access the net, I would applaud.

Stealing clicks from honest webmasters, that is about as foul as foul-play gets.

If I ever found such rubbish on my system, somebody better call an ambulance. Be it the installer or myself, someone is going to be taking a ride.
    :no:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information