Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Constant PC Resetting. Please Help!

Hi,

I recently installed a new HD as a master drive and made my existing drive a slave, but now my pc keeps resetting itself. Sometimes it would do it while it's booting up, but mostly when I'm in windows. At one point I had the drives right next to each other, and it kept resetting a lot, but after moving them apart, the resets aren't as frequent. Is this a cooling related matter or something else entirely? Does anyone have any ideas on how I can remedy this problem? It would greatly be appreciated.

My PC specs are:

PIII 800
    256 PC133 SDRAM
    ASUS Geforce 2 MX 200
    Soundblaster Live! Value
    Pioneeer 16x DVD
    LG 8x4x32x CD-RW
    Maxtor 60Gb HD
    Seagate Barracuda 20Gb HD
    Windows XP Pro
    a standard pwer supply, 240V I think
    Gigabyte motherboard, not sure which model.

Thanks,
    billy

Sounds like a cooling problem if you pulled the drives apart and it stopped doing it as frequently.
    I would try pulling off the side and putting your master drive near a fan and see if it helps.

Chez

It still crashes... any other ideas?

I monitored the HD temp and it was 25 deg. C but it still crashes...

I don't know what else to do.

It could be a variety of things. Although I will give you my best guess.

First off, I just noticed you have a 240w power supply. That is NO WHERE near enough power.
    I would venture to guess that is your problem.

If you can, take off the extra harddrive, and one of your cdroms. Then try and see if it does it anymore. I would say it won't.
    If it doesn't, then you know you don't have enough power to supply 2 harddrives.
    It might be time to buy a better one, like in the 400w range.

Chez

Hi,

I've removed the DVD player and the slave drive from the power supply, but the PC still keeps crashing. Thanks for your advice though, I appreciate the help you've been giving me. Have you got any other ideas as to what the problem might be?

Go Control Panel/Admin. Tools/Event Viewer and check under system and software for any red flags.

I'm having the (almost) very same problem... or something. I get constant random restarts and freezes. I thought it was my power supply (which was 250 watts) which I upgraded to a 350 Antec PSU... which did nothing: still getting freezes and random restarts. Now I think it could be the RAM... mine mostly crashes and restarts when I'm typing in Word or downloading something... that information is stored on your RAM before you save it to your hard drive (like a partially completed download). So your RAM might be having a hard time taking in that information. That's what I heard but I'm not totally sure it's true. I'd suggest replacing your RAM or getting more of it.

Hi,

My freezes and resets only started to occur after installing the drive. I looked for any red flags as was suggested and there weren't any. I've done a complete format and when I try and install windows XP Pro, I get random restarts and blue screens when I'm installing it. I thought it was the new drive at first, but when I tried installing the OS onto the slave (old 20GB) I also got random blue screens when installing it.

Also, before any of this happened, I kept getting win32k.sys errors. What does this mean?

Thanks.

Thread Information