Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: I have no idea, completely lost

Greets all,

I am beyond dismay. All hope is lost. I've encountered fierce resistance from my computer (and its upgrading) and I do not know where to go from here, other than to post my tribulations and hope to God someone can help me out.

The story: My old computer needed upgrading anyway, but I was prompted moreso by the fatal windows crashes I was starting to suffer (you know, those blue screens that have all the writing on them). So I upgraded my mobo, CPU, and RAM and used my old computer's video card (GeForce4) and hard drive. Well, the crashes began manifesting again. I attempted to reformat my entire harddrive, as opposed to just the section on which the OS resided, but as soon as I tried I was given the message "Can not format this partition." I also noticed a distinct sound eminating from it and came to the conclusion that my hard drive was dying a slow and painful death. So off to Best Buy I run to get a new hard drive. Happily I return home, connect the new hard drive to my computer, and fire her up. Reformat goes a-ok. Awesome. Windows starts copying files. Then the troubles began again. Files aren't getting copied correctly.

I've tried installing several times, and everytime I'm prompted at least a dozen or more times that a file was improperly copied and that it needs to recopy. Most of the time it gets stuck on one file that it won't copy and will have to abort. This most recent time I was able to push it through apparently, but when it came to the windows install screen I was greeted by the following error: Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal error. The setup log files should contain more information.

What's the problem? I've ensured that all my cables are properly attached and secured to their devices. Everything SEEMS to be working fine, but obviously something very sinister is amiss.

Thanks,
    AMD 2500+ Barton @ 2.0 gHz
    EpoX 8RDA3+
    512MB Corsair XMS PC3200
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro w/Cat 4.7's
    SB Audigy
    WD 7200RPM 80GB HD w/8 MB cache
    MSI Dragonwriter CD-RW
    Pacific Digital DVD-ROM

no hardware wizard here but how old is that CD-ROM drive you are using to install windows? also check you are not using those old cables from your last PC. may be they are damaged and losing data.
    btw can new RAM modules be corrupt :?:
    actually i have no idea whether it is possible but we have previously seen problems like this related to RAM but since you have new modules, i m restraining from touching that point.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

A recent development:

I just cleared my CMOS on a whim and tried installing windows, and miraculously it worked. For the most part I hadn't messed around with the BIOS if but only to get my CPU up to its designated speed (default it was running at only 1100 mhz) and increase my RAM timings. I think I also turned of AGP fastwrites and upped the aperture size from 64MB to 128MB. Other than that, I can't think of any settings that I changed, and these worked fine for a day or so before I started getting fatal errors, tried to reinstall, got the errors trying to reformat and hence went to purchase a new harddrive.

So how come setting my BIOS back to default settings has allowed me to install WinXP flawlessly? I'm completely baffled by this. Anyone have any clues as to why this happens? I'm trying to go through my head exactly what I set to what (voltages, CPU speeds, FSB speeds, memory timings, etc...) but I don't really know that much about how the BIOS could prevent windows from installing.
    EpoX 8RDA3+
    512MB Corsair XMS PC3200
    SB Audigy
    MSI Dragonwriter CD-RW
    Pacific Digital DVD-ROM

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    no hardware wizard here but how old is that CD-ROM drive you are using to install windows? also check you are not using those old cables from your last PC. may be they are damaged and losing data.
    btw can new RAM modules be corrupt :?:
    actually i have no idea whether it is possible but we have previously seen problems like this related to RAM but since you have new modules, i m restraining from touching that point.
    Ok, well I have 2 CD-ROM devices. The first, an MSI Dragonwriter, is about 6 months old. The second, a Pacific Digital DVD-ROM, is about 2 months old. So in other words, both are fairly new and I've had no problems with them to date. As for the cables, my mobo came with nice, new rounded IDE cables, so I used them to replace my old IDE ribbons.

As for RAM, I've got no idea. Its brand new and could be flawed, but as I explained in my last post Windows installed perfectly after I reset my BIOS.
    EpoX 8RDA3+
    512MB Corsair XMS PC3200
    SB Audigy
    MSI Dragonwriter CD-RW
    Pacific Digital DVD-ROM

Righto buddy, this is all supposition, based on my own experiences .....

If your POST Screen is showing 1100Mhz, and you have for example, an XP1800+, then it should say XP1800+, which would be a 1.533Mhz CPU, and if you you are running Win98 to 2000 inc ME and NT as far as I am aware, then go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Systems Information, then select DirectX Diagnostic Tools, and on that first page, after the DirectX loads, it should state what your processor is in both it's XP No. and its actual Mhz that it's running at, and if it doesn't tally up with what you have on the POST Screen, then check that there isn't an updated BIOS for your MOBO, and in some cases it could also automatically update some selective operating System Parts, that you nor I would even know it's upgrading, such as PCI bus to Sound Control Device, etc, etc ...... :?:

I hope this is of some help ...... :2cents:

I had an MSI 6330 K7T Turbo2 Ver5 MOBO that did the very same thing, and the BIOS upgrade fixed the lot ...... :thumb: :?:
    Great thing about flying a desktop, is that CASA ( Civil Aviation Safety Authority ) can't touch ya no matter how many times you crash and burn !!!!!! HIC HIC

Cheers 4 now from Downunder,
    Desktop Pilot

Thread Information