Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Backdoor.Sdbot virus

I just installed Norton anti virus on my computer and apparently I have a virus called "Backdoor.Sdbot" and I am unable to repair / quarantine / delete through the Norton program. I looked up how to remove this virus and it says I have to start in safe mode and delete the infected files. The problem with this is that the infected files are explorer.exe and net32.something. I am afraid of deleting explorer.exe, because I'm unsure if this will permanently mess up my computer. Anyways can anyone verify that I will be able to use my computer after deleting this infected file.

Here is this link to the virus definition:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...oor.sdbot.html

Thanks for the help.

After looking closer, the virus scan advises that I reinstall the operating system. I'm wondering if it is possible to reinstall the OS if I only have an upgrade version of WinXP Pro, and still have a full delete of all system files. Or do I need to look around for the old version of Win98 to upgrade from, in order to reinstall Windows.

That sucks, a virus is never a fun thing to get..

you can do a clean format/install with a so-called Upgrade version. All you need is a previous Windows CD to insert during the initial setup
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Thread Information