Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Startup Issues

Firstly, the original system specs:

Athlon XP2000 (usually O/C'ed to 1700 Mhz)
    Volcano 7+ CPU cooler
    MSI KT3 Ultra2 motherboard (no raid)
    256 MB Kingmax PC2700 Ram
    256 MB Kingson PC2700 Ram
    Leadtek GF4 Ti 4200 ViVo
    80 gb Seagate Barracuda V
    30 gb WD Caviar (i think)
    16x DVD-Rom
    24 x CD-RW
    No Floppy :)
    OLDISH 350 W ToPower PSU (bought it for my old Slot-A Athlon 700 3 years ago).

Now, the above system worked perfectly without any problems.

A few weeks ago, I've upgraded the CPU to XP2600 (with 166 Mhz bus which is supported by the mobo) and ran it at default speed (didn't even try to O/C yet).

The problem which occured after that was pretty minor, basically every now and then after pressing the ON button system would beep and have a blank screen. After pressing reset it would continue to load as usual. Once booted the system works perfectly, no random resets or crashes.

The real problems started yesterday. When I turned on the PC, it was dead. Tried it a few more times and nothing happened. My guess was the PSU died, because its old and the fan started to get noisy (the went away after a while or when tapped gently) which is probably caused by worn bearing in the PSU's fan, but I found it the past that the PSU would often die soon afterwards.

Anyway, after about an hour or two, I tried to boot up the PC again and it almost worked. It started booting as usual but froze on the Windows XP loading screen where you see the Blue Progress Bar. Reset it and same thing happened except there was some graphical corruption in the progress bar.

Then I tried the Safe Mode and it froze before it could load but the top of the screen had minor graphical corruption (a few pixels which were means to be on were off and vice versa).

Next, I went to BIOS and truned down the CPU bus speed from 166 Mhz to 100 Mhz. System then worked fine (even Quake 3 worked perfectly abeit a bit slower). Next I tried 133 Mhz and again it worked ok. Send about 1.5 hours surfing the net without any problems.

Now, this morning I tried again booting it at 166 Mhz and again it froze. Next booted it with 150 Mhz bus speed and it loaded ok, except XP left me the following Watchdog log:

//
    // Watchdog Event Log File
    //

LogType: Watchdog
    Created: 2003-09-03 09:16:08
    TimeZone: -600 - E. Australia Standard Time
    WindowsVersion: XP
    EventType: 0xEA - Thread Stuck in Device Driver

//
    // The driver for the display device got stuck in an infinite loop. This
    // usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device
    // driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your
    // display device vendor for any driver updates.
    //

ShutdownCount: 130
    Shutdown: 0
    EaRecovery: 1
    EventFlag: 1
    EventCount: 1
    BreakCount: 1
    BugcheckTriggered: 1
    DebuggerNotPresent: 1
    DriverName: nv4_disp
    DeviceClass: Display
    DeviceDescription: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
    HardwareID: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0253&SUBSYS_289C107D&REV_A3
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    DriverFixedFileInfo: FEEF04BD 00010000 0006000E 000A11AB 0006000E 000A11AB 0000003F 00000008 00040004 00000003 00000004 00000000 00000000
    DriverCompanyName: NVIDIA Corporation
    DriverFileDescription: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 45.23
    DriverFileVersion: 6.14.10.4523
    DriverInternalName: nv4_disp.dll
    DriverLegalCopyright: (C) NVIDIA Corporation. All rights reserved.
    DriverOriginalFilename: nv4_disp.dll
    DriverProductName: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 45.23
    DriverProductVersion: 6.14.10.4523

So basically it looks like an issue with the video card, but can it be caused by anything else? I think it might be the mobo or the PSU not providing enough power.

Is there anything I could try (like changing the BIOS setting or running any Diagnostics programs) before I pull them box appart and start swapping components and/or trying them in different machines?

Maybe I should use Leadtek drivers instead of generic ones?

Ren

i get that kind of error when i try to play a really high end game on my 32MB card (don't laugh :p)
    you have a pretty decent card so that error can be b'cos of a driver corruption. try re-installing them.
    i don't have much of an idea abt hardware but PSU seems to be a problem here.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I tried another thing yesterday, running at full CPU speed but with AGP set 2x and it was ok. Then I spent rest of the day running back at 133 Mhz FSB with 4x AGP.

This morning I've put back the CPU speed to normal (166) and set the AGP to Auto (before I had it on 2x) and it booted up fine. Even tried 3D Mark 2001 to make sure it is running at full speed and the system is stable and surprise surprise it all working fine now.

I haven't changed any drivers or settings during this excercise (except for rebooting with different AGP and FSB speed settings) so I got no idea what was causing this.

ANyway, as far as video drivers go, is it better to use generic nVidia detonator drivers or to use Leadtek drivers?

what kind of 2600 you have...........they made two variants, a 266fsb and a 333fsb in that model........thinking that was an apple, when it was an orange may have something to do with it

I'm pretty sure its a 166 Mhz FSB Xp2600.

When I first got it, the FSB was set to 133 Mhz and cpu multiplier was left on AUTO and the system showed XP2000 on the Bootup screen.

Had to set the FSB to 166 Mhz in order to get XP2600 to show up on the Bootup screen.

you have the 333 variant, nonetheless, i'm sure you'd want to check.......it's the only one that supports both i believe

I found the box the CPU came in and its definitely 333 FSB XP2600.

The problem seems to have gone away as did the other issue with occasional beeping on cold boot.

So, I think it be best if I leave things as they are until the problem comes up again.

:thumb:

Well, I spoke too soon :(

This morning, I had to press reset at the cold boot since it started beeping again (always had occasionally since I put in XP2600, never happened with XP2000).

Then something else happened (which happened once or twice before). Once the PC booted up and I was checking email and using IE, the screen went blank for a second or two. Then, a few seconds latter it went blank for a few seconds, so that the monitor went into hybernation (the power LED on it went from green to orange).

Then the display came back for a few seconds before it went blank again but this time the PC reset itself.

Any ideas? I'll probably first change video drivers to Leadtek's and see how it goes.

you need the latest bios revision.....5.7 i believe, to properly accept the higher cpu........do the autoupdate thing......pick the quick install, see what happens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information