Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any1 experienced this?

Due to the problem I'll describe below, I have started building a new computer - but it would be interesting to hear if some of u have any clues on the problem:

Comp freezes up several times, but mostly when I'm doing powerconsuming tasks - such as playing games (like DeltaForce2), defragmenting my harddisc, performing av full system scan with Norton Anti Virus, burning CD's and things like that. It never freezes up/locks up doing other stuff. No problems when using the Office applications.
    Sometimes, even when the comp is just standing there without being used (but still turned on), I can hear some strange noises that I'm not able to pinpoint the location of. But I think it's either the CPU- fan, or the PSU or maybe even the HDD. This noise can go on for about 2 - 5 mins - and after that it's normal again. It's not the familiar clicks of death of a harddisc - more like a chopper going down from a far distance. No high pitching - more like a rumbling sound.

I know for sure it ain't my Mem- sticks, and not my Graphics card, and I don't think it's my HD. And not my NIC.
    And I have tried full formatting, clean installation of OS, upgraded and downgraded BIOS, and tried every tweak in BIOS - no change.

My best private guess is either the CPU or CPU fan going hasta la vista.

Here's my system:

PIII, 500MHz, 100MHz FSB
    Mobo Abit BE6-II (i440BX)
    Hercules 3D Prophet II MX 32Mb
    NIC Realtech 10/100
    Soundblaster PCI 128
    IBM 60GXP 60Gb HDD 7200 rpm
    W98SE, IE6.0
    Office2000
    Pioneeer DVD 104
    Actima 4x4x24 CDRW
    Memorysticks Original 3 x 128Mb SDRAM
    Highpoint HPT366 UltraDMA 66 Controller
    Billion Bipac PCI SE ISDN Card
    Aopen Case

Any help or comments is appreciated!
    Crusader

Fans are cheap enough to replace, see if that takes care of the problem.
    Have you read Mr. Tweaks article entitled IBM GXP Problems: The Truth Exposed and Possible Fixes
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

This problem SCREAMS power supply - what rating is your PSU?

i would think it can't hack all those accessories...
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

It's an Aopen 60GT w/noisekiller with 235W output - and the problem just came like 4 weeks ago. Never been a problem before.
    But however, I think (after thorough investigation) that the rumbling sound comes from the PSU- fan.
    So here is the question; If the PSU- fan is about to leave this earthly state - can this affect such a major stability issue for the whole computer?
    I didn't think that was possible........? I know of course that the comp. gets a tidbit hotter - but in the last few weeks I have been running the comp. with open case. Thought that should compensate some of the heat generated.
    Or am I totally on wrong conclusions here.........?

And, lucky guy as I am, I was able to borrow a used PSU from a friend today, so I intend to swap and see if problem goes away.
    I'll let you know the result from that test. But if you are right - and this is a rating problem - I will still have a problem, cause the borrowed PSU is a 230 W King Year.

And thx for your kind answers guys - I really appreciate it!
    Crusader

If it is the PSU fan is going the the PSU could very well be overheating and that will cause it to fail so replace the fan. :smokin:

Thx Wiggo, I will try this - in faxt I'll try swapping the whole PSU now that I got to borrow 1 from a friend - so this will be my first go.
    Crusader

psu is a step in the right direction - i've had similar problems and killed 2 harddrives, and slowing the system to a crawl cuz my psu was underpowering it

replacing it solved all problems :)

Ah, thx my man - that's what I have been thinking about this problem too, and this is the very first thing I'm gonna check out. I really hope this will fix my problem.
    But if this doesn't resolve my problems I'll check out all the other tips and tricks I've gotten as well.
    Crusader

Well every1, here's what happened when I swapped PSU's (using the 1 from my friend):

No problem with booting after the swap, no mysterious faulty alarms or anything.
    But when I tryed 1 of the operations that I know locks up my comp (full virus- scan with Norton) - the comp locked up with the new PSU as well. This new PSU has 5W lower output than my original one - so not a big difference there.

But when it locked up with the new PSU (and I had to hit the reset button) - the scandisc of course started - and this time it wasn't even able to finish the scan - it locked up during the scan.

So mainly, swapping the PSU made it a slightly worse than earlier.

Can the answer be so simple that I lack some output power?
    Crusader

yep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information