Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer keeps on freezing while playing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petrov
    That was my next move, buy a new cpu fan! But the game "freezes", sometimes, right in the game menu! It's very odd!

Couldn't this be a RAM issue? I don't think anyone even mentioned it. Certain brands of the 333 speed seem to be cuasing people alot of problems for some reason. Some main boards can be unstable with certain brands of RAM. If you have 2 seperate sticks of RAM, try using only one at a time and place it in the slot closest to your processor to see if you have a bad ram module.

I'd also definitly keep that fast write feature in your bios disabled with an ATI card. My 9500 pro locked up alot with that enabled, I'm pretty sure its not supported by ATI graphic cards.

I'm gonna thank every one that tryed to help me, but a BIG THX to Spongebob, IT WORKED! I've got one 512mb memory stick, i moved it to another slot and the computer is steady(for now)! Thx allot everybody! I owe u ppl! :D

:o Coff Coff! Know what?! False alarm! The "Freezing Continues" at a computer nearby! lol
    The pc was "freezing" i went to the store were i bought the ATI and demand that they replaced my board, they gave a replacement one (GF MX 440 :thumbs do )! lol
    Now the computer works fine, i'm waiting for my "new" 9550 PRO.

:o Coff Coff! Know what?! False alarm! The "Freezing Continues" at a computer nearby! lol
    The pc was "freezing" i went to the store were i bought the ATI and demand that they replaced my board, they gave a replacement one (GF MX 440 :thumbs do )! lol
    Now the computer works fine, i'm waiting for my "new" 9550 PRO.
    Since its not your RAM,
    I've also found out that ATI cards are very touchy when it comes to CMOS settings. I recently reformatted my computer, updated the bios and reset it, then used the defualt settings and it was crash galore for intesive 3D games like Battlefield 1942 and GTA vice City. After about 10 minutes of playing, those type of games would lock up.

Solution: Go to your CMOS and disable stuff like video cacheing. There were a couple other things related to video that I also disabled but one or more of them will make ATI cards go wacky, and I'm really leaning toward either video or bios cacheing. (ATI 9800pro and an ATI 9500pro is what I have in 2 seperate systems), both systems do this with one or the other or both enabled.
    GeForce based cards run smooth on both systems with those settings enabled but try one of my ATI cards in them with default CMOS settings and its LOCK UP GALORE for the type of games described above.
    So if your new ATI 9500 pro does the same thing your old one did I suggest readjusting some CMOS settings.

It would be interesting if you did a dual boot with Win98se (if you have it) and XP just to see if there is a difference in stability.

The recomendation that you put a more powerful HSF on couldn't hurt and may solve your problem. I have read many threads over a number of forums that have a lot of helpful advice centering on HSF's and power supplies. An interesting explanation for this happening sometimes is an "infinite loop" caused by an inadequate PS.

Sorry to ask but what is a HSF?! I'm portuguese some things i understand others don't...
    My PS is 450W i think that's enough :)

HSF = heatsink & fan.

Did ya ever try those games with the side of your case off? :?:

Yes i did, my concern is that the board ain't got anything wrong...
    if that's the case (and i know it is) i'm pretty f***ed up because i can't find a solution. Next week i'm gonna go to the store get my board back and i will buy a pci fan (very pretty :) ) and then i post here any new events...
    CPU:Athlon XP 2400@2.3Ghz
    MOBO: ASUS A7N8X
    RAM: 512 DDR 333mhz
    VC: ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    SOUND: Live! 5.1 Digital
    PSU: 450 Watts
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM

Well guys i went to the store today to get back my 9500 pro they said that there was nothing wrong with it... i went home plugged it in and started playing... worked fine for about 20 minutes then guess what?! It froze again :flames: What a surprise!!! I'm gonna start testing stuff like the PSU and installing more fans and stuff... i'll report back soon...
    CPU:Athlon XP 2400@2.3Ghz
    MOBO: ASUS A7N8X
    RAM: 512 DDR 333mhz
    VC: ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    SOUND: Live! 5.1 Digital
    PSU: 450 Watts
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM

That was my next move, buy a new cpu fan! But the game "freezes", sometimes, right in the game menu! It's very odd!

Before you go buy stuff. Try disabling AGP Master 1 WS Write and Read, DBI output for AGP Trans, System Bios Cachable, and Video Ram Cacheable if you have any or all of those settings in Cmos. My ATI video card based systems will freeze in 3D games (as described above) with some of these settings enable. My system also does a little better with all of them disabled in 3Dmark03 tests.

Also make sure your videocard, soundcard, bios, and MB chipset\AGP port drivers and such are all up to date.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information