Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: random restarts and missing files in Win XP

Hi, I'm in the process of building my first computer and I'm running into some serious problems with windows XP.
    This is my set up:

Asus P4P800 Deluxe mobo
    Intel 2.4C
    512 mb ddr 3500 Mushkin level 2 black ram
    Antec trublue 450w Power supply
    Zalman 7000 alcu heatsink.

Anytime I tried to update windows, or use the internet for more than about 2 minutes windows will automatically reboot itself. When windows rebooted, it said it had recovered from a serious error, and that it was a bad driver, but it couldn't tell which driver.

Now, it won't even start because it says it's missing hal.dll which I'm told is what windows uses to dectect hardware.

One thing I do know is that it's not running too hot... the Zalman keeps it right about 30C

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

*EDIT* Memtest just came up with 197 errors on test #6... does this mean it's bad ram then?

The timings are too aggressive for the RAM, or indeed the RAM itself could be faulty. Check all your RAM-related settings in the BIOS (e.g. Mem Turbo, timings etc.) and make sure they're at safe/default levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Thakog

*EDIT* Memtest just came up with 197 errors on test #6... does this mean it's bad ram then?

Most lielky bad ram, though it may just be uncompatable. Either way RMA stating that it is incompatible with the system or faulty. They will accpet this usually.

You may also consider updating your bios to the latest revision as this will sometimes help with compatability issues.

Well, the timings were set much, much higher than the factory defaults, something like 2.5-4-4-8, so I set them down to the the defaults Mushkin reccommends (2-3-2-6) and Memtest wasn't getting any errors, but it keeps freezing before It completes a pass. at 97% though, no errors. I'm making another disk with memtest on it now to see if that helps anything.

*Edit* Bios is already updated

If memtest is freezing then there is still an error. Try downloadinf a different memory test.

Any suggestions of other tests to try? I had trouble find any that worked from a floppy.
    I'm going to bed now, cause it's 11pm here but I'll be sure to check tommorrow morning. I'm also going to call Mushkin and see about returning the memory. Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate it.

Thread Information