Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: I'm stumped... any ideas?

Without going into some really long story that no one is going to read -

Where would you look if you turned on your computer and nothing shows up on the monitor? Power seems to turn on, but nothing comes on the monitor.

I have 3 different mobos (2 brand new) and none of them come up with anything. I've swapped in a new CPU, new RAM... I'm stumped.

The only clue I have is when I hook up my mobo (the on listed in my sig) I get beeps... just one long tone that keeps beeping about once a second.

The monitor self test bounces on the screen. It flashes off for just a second when I first hit the power switch, then nothing.

KNOWN:

monitor is fine
    video card is fine
    monitor is fine

HELP! I'm totally stumped. Nothing here makes sense. Any ideas? Are my computers on strike or what?

If you can help me with this you'll be my hero. :shoot3:

:wow:
    <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
    Athlon XP2500+ FSB333<br>
    Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
    2X256 Corsair XMS PC3200<br>
    80GB Deskstar 7200RPM</font>
    </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
    Blaster Live!<br>
    Volcano 7+<br>
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB<br>
    19" TRINITRON CRT FLAT<br><br> ANTEC true430 PSU</font>
    </p></td></tr></table>

Bad RAM is normally what one long tone stands for

Maybe someone thought it would be funny to switch the voltage switch on the ps to 220v instead of 115v.
    I fixed a machine last week, or should I say replaced everything (upgraded as well)except the bare case and dvd rom. It was the ps that blew and it took out the asus mobo,pIII cpu, mem x2, hd, and burner. When turned on it would just sit there with the cpu fan running, thats it. When I tested the ram in another mobo, it made sounds like you mentioned.
    The funny thing is, I warned the guy the last time I worked on his machine. I said replace the ps right nowbefore it takes the whole machine out, it's fluctuating badly. A $700 mistake.

Since you tried new ram, different mobo, and cpu, I would say it could be the ps. If it is and you keep trying it, the same thing could happed to you. Try a known good ps.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

sorry, should have posted the solution earlier.

The first thing I origionally thought it might be was the RAM, so I bought 2 new 256 PC3200. Long story short - after testing the ram BOTH of the brand spankin new modules were duds. I decided just to break the bank and buy some Corsair XMS. Stuck those suckers in and my box is running better than ever!

Thanks for the the help.

Matt
    <table width="225" height="100" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="100"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMD
    Athlon XP2500+ FSB333<br>
    Soltek SL-75FRN -L<br>
    2X256 Corsair XMS PC3200<br>
    80GB Deskstar 7200RPM</font>
    </p></td><td width="125"><p align="center"><font color="#003300" size="-3" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sound
    Blaster Live!<br>
    Volcano 7+<br>
    GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB<br>
    19" TRINITRON CRT FLAT<br><br> ANTEC true430 PSU</font>
    </p></td></tr></table>

Thread Information