Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: PC shutting down

Hi,
    I am running a P3 450MHz machine on win xp pro, had no probs for over a year now but recently the machine used to make a load noise (fan possibly?).Then sometimes it automatically restarts, other times it just shuts down by itself. when it does shut down by itself the only way to switch it back on is switch the mains off for about 30seconds and then on again.
    Any ideas as to what the problem may be? is it dodgy fan, dodgy psu or some other issue?
    Thanks

Could be heat related especially if you had a fan go out or if they are very dirty.

When was the last time that ya gave ya system a good dust clean out? :?:

Quote Originally Posted by lionofjudah
    Hi,
    I am running a P3 450MHz machine on win xp pro, had no probs for over a year now but recently the machine used to make a load noise (fan possibly?).Then sometimes it automatically restarts, other times it just shuts down by itself. when it does shut down by itself the only way to switch it back on is switch the mains off for about 30seconds and then on again.
    Any ideas as to what the problem may be? is it dodgy fan, dodgy psu or some other issue?
    Thanks
    Also did you make any recent changes to the system (hardware, software, or CMOS setting Change)?

How much Ram are you using?

P.S. If you want to clean your hardware buy a can of compressed air at Wal-mart. It does a quick but good job.

If, in my oppinion, ya haven't made any hardware changes lately,
    i'ld suspect & than test your PSU(power supply).Otherwise, i'm suprissed ya even got XP to run without upgrading the entire
    prehistoric sytem.
    What size and make is your Harddrive?
    Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

i agree it's been some time since i gave the system a good clean with the old air spray - prob 3-4months. my hard drive is 80Gb maxtor 7200rpm. I haven't changed any hardware nor any cmos setting etc in ages (well at least a year).
    And yes I know my system is outdated but no money to sort out new one. Need to qualify first and then get a proper job with proper money after.

after some tweaking in msconfig pc not shut down since, I've added few extra fans in my system last night and gave it a good clean but it still made that nasty whirring noise - maybe my cpu fan is faulty? or maybe the psu fan? Don't know what the problem could be. Any other ideas?

Thread Information