Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem -- Computer keeps turning off... Please help!

Well... apparently that wasn't the problem... I had it on for a while, and it has shut off--just like before--twice already. Anybody have any idea what else the problem could be??
    <table border="1" bordercolor="#888888" bordercolorlight="#888888" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1.83Ghz</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Abit KX7-333</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 1024MB Crucial DDR PC2700</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> NVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro (Fear my graphic power!)</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 120GB Western Digital Caviar Special Edition</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Chieftec FS710 Silver Aluminum Case w/ Plexiglass Side Window    &amp ;nbsp; &nbsp </font></td></tr></table>

If ya usin' XP have ya checked the Event Viewer out? :?:

Ya should be able to disabled the fan feature in the BIOS under PC Health.

Thanks, Wiggo. It was under PC Health, just like you said.

Haven't heard of Event Viewer, but it just so happens I am using XP... so I'll check it out. Got a link?
    <table border="1" bordercolor="#888888" bordercolorlight="#888888" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1.83Ghz</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Abit KX7-333</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 1024MB Crucial DDR PC2700</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> NVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro (Fear my graphic power!)</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 120GB Western Digital Caviar Special Edition</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Chieftec FS710 Silver Aluminum Case w/ Plexiglass Side Window    &amp ;nbsp; &nbsp </font></td></tr></table>

Quote Originally Posted by enhancedstudios
    Haven't heard of Event Viewer, but it just so happens I am using XP... so I'll check it out. Got a link?
    Event Viewer is part of the OS. go to the Control Panel, click on Admin Tools, then open Event Viewer
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

So it is. How handy.

Well, next time it shuts down... Hopefully I'll see what time it happens and I'll be able to check the event log to see what it says happened at that time.

Were there any red flagged logs under Applications or System? :?:

Yes... under system, I got this two minutes before it shut off... Four different red flags...

#1 The ATI TV Wonder WDM Audio Crossbar service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

#2 The ATI TV Wonder BtCap, WDM Video Capture service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it

#3 The ATI TV Wonder TVTuner, WDM TvTuner service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

#4 The ATI TV Wonder WDM Video Crossbar service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it

---

Also, under applications it appears as though an application called "ccPwdSvc" starts and then terminated within 5 seconds of each other... 1 minute after those four red flags....

I also looked at the log from 3 hours ago... and those four red flags occured then... also at the same time as the ccPwdSvc thing... and I believe that 3 hours ago is the last time that it shut off....

Hmmmm... are we on to something?

It seems that we are but I'm not familar with ATi's TV Wonder though it seems that there is some driver/software problem with it. The "ccPwdSvc" seems to be part of Norton's security products 2003/4 (AV, firewall and internet security programs) and it may just be the cause as well but I'm also not familar with it (I'd contact Symantec on that one).

I disabled the TV Wonder drivers... but then it shut off again... I think I will take out the card and uninstall the drivers... I don't really use it anymore anyhow. And if that doesn't work, I'll try disabling Norton and see if that is the problem.

All right.. so I physically removed the ATI TV Wonder card... and I uninstalled all of the drivers and the ATI software... and I restarted a couple of times and left the computer on... it ran for 3 hours and then shut off once more. The four errors that appeared last time didn't appear... the ccPwdSvc thing did occur... So I'm going to attempt to disable Norton and see if that solves the problem...

However, something odd that I am noticing now... is that when I start up windows... I get 9 red flags under System in the Event Viewer... all of them concerning the ATI wonder card/drivers.... I don't understand why that would be happening since I took out the card, and removed all of the drivers and software... Is there some way I can find out why it is still trying to initiate those services and remove all of that?

Also, this time I got a 10th red flag... not concerning the ATI stuff... but instead:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter 2 bf9b7403, parameter 3 f1c33dd8, parameter4 00000000.

This is so confusing......

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information