Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem -- Computer keeps turning off... Please help!

Myself I'd do a format and clean reinstall but someone may come up with a better solution yet.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea...

Yeah... what it does now... is right before it shuts off... there is a red flag... and it says the source is "System Error"... category (102)... Event 1003.... And then the message inside is:

Error code 1000008e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 bf9b7403, parameter3 f27badd8, parameter4 00000000

Is there any way this could be related to my power supply not being powerful enough? Or is it probably some sort of software/driver glitch?
    <table border="1" bordercolor="#888888" bordercolorlight="#888888" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1.83Ghz</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Abit KX7-333</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 1024MB Crucial DDR PC2700</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> NVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro (Fear my graphic power!)</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 120GB Western Digital Caviar Special Edition</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Chieftec FS710 Silver Aluminum Case w/ Plexiglass Side Window    &amp ;nbsp; &nbsp </font></td></tr></table>

I'm sorry but I really think that a format and reinstall is warranted here as now ya basically gettin' an nV loop prob. If ya've drivers that are updated over the XP native ones then this is likely why ya gettin' this because of ya old TNT2 Pro will not like then at all.

Ok... so I tried reformatting the hard drive, but it kept restarting in the middle of the reformat... so I did a quick format so hopefully it would finish the install before it shut off... but there's no way it will even finish installing windows without shutting off...

i thought maybe it might be bad memory or something, so i took out one dimm and tried again... it still shut off... took out the other dimm and put in the original one i took out... and it did it again... so memory isn't the problem......

i thought maybe somehow the software/driver/whatever problems might still be affecting the installation since i have 2 hard drives and the one with the original OS on it was not formatted...

SO....... I disconnected ALL of my hard drives... and i booted to dos with a bootable cd... and just let DOS sit there with an a:> prompt for a while......... and it STILL just shuts off... so it looks like it is not a software problem.

I'm running out of ideas here--could it be my original thought of power supply isn't powerful enough?

But then again, I've tried disconnecting everything from the power except for 1 hard drive and the motherboard and that doesn't fix it either...

So now that we've eliminated pretty much everything, what else is even left that COULD be the problem?

Thanks again, you all for helping me out with this.
    <table border="1" bordercolor="#888888" bordercolorlight="#888888" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0"><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Athlon XP 2100+ @ 1.83Ghz</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Abit KX7-333</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 1024MB Crucial DDR PC2700</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> NVidia RIVA TNT2 Pro (Fear my graphic power!)</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> 120GB Western Digital Caviar Special Edition</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum</font></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><font face="verdana" size="2"> Chieftec FS710 Silver Aluminum Case w/ Plexiglass Side Window    &amp ;nbsp; &nbsp </font></td></tr></table>

Also, the problem seems to be getting increasingly worse... whereas i used to be able to keep it on for maybe a few hours at a time... and sometimes a day or two... now it rarely stays on for more than even 15 minutes. :shrug:

Sounds like ya didn't clean the registry up properly after removin' the drivers (the 8e error is hardware related, registry or drivers usually). ;)

How hot is it runnin' (most BIOS' will report temps)? It could also be the PSU but what ratin' is it? :?:

Ok, went into the BIOS and the system temperature rose until it hit 25 or 26 degrees celcius before it shut off. I also changed a setting that said "system status after power failiure" or something like that... it was originally set to 'off' and i changed it to 'on' thinking that maybe the power failing is why it is turning off... but i saved the settings and rebooted... went back into the bios and waited about 5 minutes... and it shut off again.... and the power button still didn't work just like before... i had to disconnect the power supply until the amber light on the mobo went out and then connect it again for it to come back on.

Also, as far as those error messages go... Before I tried reformatting and reinstalling windows, the errors actually went away... I removed all of the Norton stuff... and the ccPwdSvc messages quit happening, and I got no more red flags.... and when the computer shut off and I started it back up, I went into the event viewer and it didn't show anything at all at the time of the shutdown that didn't look normal.

But whatever, we've determined that it's not software issues......

Oh yeah, and the CPU temp was somewhere around 35-45 celcius.

The power supply is 430-watt... is that what you meant by rating?

Well that rating should be fine so I guest the next step would be to try another one as the temps look fine . Other than that outa suggestions without havin' my hands on it (but ya to far away for that). :shrug:

Hey am running a P3 system and was experiencing something simalar to you. The PC used to switch off and i had to turn it off at the mains or disconnect power supply and reconnect after 10secs before I could turn my pc on again.
    Had posted on here before about it and was told to clean the system out and I also installed a few extra fans. The system shutting down still occurs but rarely now so prob dust clogging it up.
    The only thing I have noticed over the last couple of days is that it makes a beeping noise when I power up my system and I have to press reset to stop the beeping and load up my OS.
    I have not yet got around to a fresh install but might have to do that worst comes to worst. Also have you tried using a new PSU?I used to think my PSU or CPU fan were the problems.
    The other thing is my pc used to make this horrible whirring noise from time to time, which was a lot worse when my system used to keep shutting down. It occasionally makes it now but not as bad as before.
    Eye See You..........

i have the same problem with my xp 2600+ system all new parts, it worked fine until i got a new thermaltake fan and installed it and it started turning off on its own and, it hooked to the psu and it is still not working i cant even get into the bios to change anything but i do not have any fan protections or cpu protections on so it should power up, it turns off within 5 seconds of being turned on and i rly wanna get this fixed. i jus bought a new mobo/ram/cpu and rly would like to get it at optimal proformance, help meh! :)

-Myth

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information