Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lite-On 16x DVD Dead

I sent the drive back the week of Thanksgiving and Lite On received the drive last Tuesday. I received a new drive today. They said that turnaround time would be 7 days but I assumed that would be business days and not include the shipping time.

How long is the warranty on Lite on DVD drives? my drive is exactly as yours is. Wont read discs. I got my drive over a year ago so I presume the warranty is over?

Hey, this happened to a 2 day old lite on dvd-rom in a new machine I finnished building yesterday for a customer. It still operates most of the time, but will not recognize alot of discs anymore, and when it does, it takes forever. I swapped an lg dvd-rom in there and it reads all the discs fast. Rather than argue with the crooked supplier, I will just exchange it for a black one to match the case($3 extra). And while I am at it, I will replace the ide cable just to be 100% sure. ($2)
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Quote Originally Posted by BarryD
    How long is the warranty on Lite on DVD drives? my drive is exactly as yours is. Wont read discs. I got my drive over a year ago so I presume the warranty is over?
    The warranty is for one year. Sorry. :cry:

I've had this Lite-On DVD-ROM for over two years. I dont use it at all unless I'm installing new software or a new game, which averages to about once or twice a month. It does seem to be getting a little tired though (especially when it opens and closes). I guess Lite-on DVD-ROMs arent as good as their burners, too bad :( . : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

I wish I had seen this Thread before I bought one, It works fine right now, but I have only had it for a few months. I also purchased a Lite On 52x CDRW burner, I RMAed two of them before saying enough is enough, I never got the burner to burn a single disk, and the 2nd one sounded like it had pieces rattling around in it and wouldn't even open. Needless to say I will not be purchasing another one of them:grr:

It sounds like you fellows over there must of received a bad batch (can happen with any make) but I use LiteOn DVD's and CDRW's almost exclussively over the last few years and have yet to come across a bad one yet. :confused:

Update:
    Well I swapped it for a LG dvd-rom(black)(probably refurbished, can see previous screw marks just like the toast one, but it works), now everything is fine.
    Over here, shady asian dealers can get away with selling cheap counterfit pc parts or refurbished sold as "new" aquired on yearly "business trips to Hong Kong" by the shipping container load. Every single faulty new part I have ever encountered has come from one of these three local dealers(cornered the market on price and availability). And that is alot of bad parts. That's why they always blame smoking on the components very early death(how can 15 days of smoking kill a hd?). Because the hd's were not new as claimed when sold, if they were , scandisk/all would not find previously marked bad sectors(ran into 6 of these, assorted brands)(caught the last 5 of them by checking before using, #1 died on the 15th day, "too bad, you smoke you kill drive"(lol)(bull****) ). Gotta be careful they don't sneak the letters "rfd" into the serial # on the bill. Psu's are not supposed to pop while building a machine(had three over the last 18 months). Because there never was a "real warranty". They just take their chances with offering a 14 day so called warranty. So we got 13.5 days to make sure it works right with these major dealers, end of story.
    And no, I am not racist whatsoever, this is just the way it happens here, plain facts.
    I would love to get supplies from elsewhere, but just don't have the overhead.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w