Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: windows install problems - stop errors (merged threads)

OK! Good news and some bad news. First off, i got win xp to install, i turned of cacheing L1 L2, etc...

It took a hell of a long time but it is installed. But i fire up XP and it gives me a new message after it is about to load the desktop:

(same blue screen - stop message)

Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Physical memory dump.

now that I've edited that thread title we'll get on with it...

ok, you've clearly got RAM problems so turning off L1 and L2 cacheing isn't going to fix your problems. If you have more than one stick of RAM, isolate the bad one and remove it. Otherwise you will need to buy new RAM before you continue. but first do as wiggo suggested and up the RAM voltage.

On a slightly different note, you do not need to install winXP from another OS, even if it is a so-called 'upgrade' edition. Also, if it is installed from a previous OS, it will not upgrade from some pervious version of windows, win95 being one of these.
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Hi, i was looking for it in the bios.. how do i 'up' the ram voltage>?

i'm not familiar with your mobo, so I can't tell you exactly where do look. Not all mobos have the feature, infact many cheaper mobos usually don't.

Your mobo does have an Award bios, so if it does allow it, it should be under an Advanced section (if it was even made available for it). I can't remember what it is called exactly, so you'll have to look around and use your head.

EDIT: I can't believe i took the time to do this, but I took a look in your manual (something you should have done yourself) to see if you have the settings availabe. First of all, you should take a look in the Advanced page of your BIOS (pg. 24 of your manual), then naviagte down to "Frequency/Voltage Contol". Page 30 of your manual details what is in this section, I suggest you read it. However, according to your manual you do not have the options available to adjust the RAM voltage (but you should look in the bios anyway).

This is the last time I will spoon feed you information. Next time I suggest you use the resources available to you.

WOHOO!!!

OK guys, i dont know wether to be happy or not.

Good news: Windows XP installed.
    Bad news: i have no idea what i did :(

Here is basically what i did:

To get XP to install i turned off all cache, pnp and disabled random stuff in BIOS. After like 2 hours, XP installed.

Then i had some problems with the scandisk thing. It promted scan, i let it scan and almost everytime it finds corrupt files to truncate, odd... anyways it didnt work the first few times it always froze wether or not i let it scan.

So then i enter in safe mode, which skipped the ScanDisk. So im happy and yes it worked! So i restart and let it scan, and then it shut down my computer for no reason... so i restart and then IT WORKS!

I have installed XP and most of my fav programs and stuff, seemes to be running smoothly, a few windows bugs, but im guessing they will go away.

Problem is... i shudder when i think about the next time i need to format this thing :tears:

But for now, ill just be happy it works,

and im getting another stick of ram to see if it helps any matters.

First of all ya shouldn't have
    I turned off all cache, pnp and disabled random stuff in BIOS
    secondly did ya read
    increase the voltage to the memory by 0.1v
    and
    EDIT: I can't believe i took the time to do this, but I took a look in your manual (something you should have done yourself) to see if you have the settings availabe. First of all, you should take a look in the Advanced page of your BIOS (pg. 24 of your manual), then naviagte down to "Frequency/Voltage Contol". Page 30 of your manual details what is in this section, I suggest you read it. However, according to your manual you do not have the options available to adjust the RAM voltage (but you should look in the bios anyway).
    as ya didn't answer whether ya tried that. :rolleyes2

Sorry, i didnt read the little edit part. But im sure thankful you did do that.

However i have looked through all the pages and probably scanned through the manual and another pc help book like hundred times.

Im not sure but maybe the disabled CPU cache (which slowed down the computer) helped use the corrupt ram less?

Could it also be the harddrive?

Now even though i have installed Xp im getting alot of errors, once in a while i still get the stop error only different sayings such as (REGISTRY_ERROR) and also i get alot of those dumb send report errors in IE, not to mention i also get this serivces.exe shutdown timer (kinda like the ms.blast worm)

and yes i looked in the BIOS, there is no option to change any voltages, however i can adjust the DRAM clock but i dont think that is relavant.

BTW: Why was disableing the stuff a bad idea?

----------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: OK... i have almost determined it is my RAM. I ran both memtest (windows) and memtest-86(bootup from dos)

Memtest kept on poping up errors every 5-10 seconds.
    memtest-86 showed 37793 errors.

both were only run for about 10-20 minutes.

Also I would like to know: Can BAD ram cause the problems ive been having as well as cause memory dumps, crashes, etc?

Ctrl-F1 buttons pressed together while in your Award bios should allow you into the "advanced chipset features" screen ... it is there that you may find settings for adjusting your voltage. Kinda scares me telling you this since you don't really seem to be paying all that much attention to the answers that you are getting here. From what I am seeing your RAM more than likely has a problem so you disable L1 and L2 cache on your CPU (why??? just to slow the system down more?) Corrupt RAM can cause errors on your hard drive.

As the experts here have said ... if you can find the option then up your mem voltage by .01v ... if you have the option to remove one stick of RAM then test that .... if you only have one stick of RAM then try to find another one to use for testing purposes. Maybe take the RAM back to where you got it and have them test it.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by renderclock
    Also I would like to know: Can BAD ram cause the problems ive been having as well as cause memory dumps, crashes, etc?
    simply put, yes ...but I think I already said that too :)

God dammit, now its complaining about missing files in the system file... Is this caused by a bad harddrive or the RAM?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information