Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Power Switch Problem

Hello everyone,

Hopefully I'm not violating any rules as its my first post and I'm thinking this is the correct section. I've been constructing a new computer and booted it up a couple times. The power switch was fully functional when I did this. Anyways, I worked on it a little more and now the power switch won't turn on my computer anymore. Does anyone happen to know a reason for this?.

As a backup plan i'm looking into some sort of external switch that I can hook up to turn on and off the computer, in place of the POWER SW cords (white and orange) that connects from the power switch to the motherboard. Would something like this work? (link provided), and can anyone suggest other places I might be able to check out, whether this is or isn't what i'm looking for?. Thanks.

http://www.mycableshop.com/sku/STK-A....htm?x=27&y=28

- Steve

the switch on the link you provide will work fine, but first try simply shorting the 2 pins with screwdriver or something to make sure it is the switch(and/or associated wiring) and not the motherboard.

All the switch is, is a momentary on switch, so an old reset switch will work, or even go down to your local radio shack (i think you call it) and but a little momentary on switch and solder it up.

Read your mobo's manual as ya'll likely have to make a change to the power settings in BIOS for that. Ya may find that the power switch will have to be held in for a few seconds b4 anything happens but that can be changed (likely it's set at something like soft off and not instant off).

If you are not planning to use the Sleep switch, it will also work - just wire it up as if it were the Power button.

I've also seen this behaviour occcur from a faulty PSU :eek:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Beefy Guest

The power switch on my case gets stuck, and slowly pops out, which was making trouble everytime I tried to turn my PC on. I just simply hooked up the reset switch to the power switch jumper (as Mr C also suggested) and it works fine. Also a good deterrent for people trying to turn my PC on without me knowing. ;)

I was thinking it might be the PSU, since I transferred all my components into another case and it worked with that power supply. But, I tried hooking my reset switch to the power switch and it worked!. I never would of thought about doing that; thanks for that great little tip. Still its a bit strange that the power switch worked a few days ago, but not now. I looked inside of the case and it seems that something was disconnected from it, but I can't really reach that far to fix it or anything.

Well, I'm just glad the PSU didn't blow up on me or something and destroy all my new computer parts. I'm using a 350 watt PSU, but I hear a lot of people getting 400+ watt ones. My guess is that if you have many devices hooked up, you'll need one with a large amount of wattage. Well, thanks again for the help.

- Steve

Thread Information