Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Serious problem

Ok, a mont and a half ago I buy an athlon xp t-bred 1800 and a new motherboard (asrock k7vt2) with 256 of ddr 2700 ram. I fit it into my existing case with existing componants, and a black sceen, nothing. I was told the ram must be faulty, so I send that back, recieve a new stick, fit it in, and same problem.
    I then try a different cpu, but nothing. So i came to the conclusion that the motherboard was defect, so I bought a new motherboard (the online store wouldnt take it back), and this time a bought a higher quality soltek golden flame, based on the n-force 2 chipset.

STILL NOTHING!
    My psu is a chieftec 300w, radeon 7200 video card, 20gb maxtor hd, and a sandstorm soundcard. Could somebody please help me out, I'm losing my patience.

oh, btw the ram is ADATA 2700 :grr:

Many thnx

Your Radeon might be dead if your getting an black screen, or the monitor but that's less likely.
    Try and see if you can test the Radeon in another computer. Or if you Soltek motherboard has onboard vga you can use that.

It sounds like you ruled out most of the other parts that could cause this.

Btw do you recive any error beeps when turning on the computer..:?:

The radeon works fine in another computer, as does the cpu. And no, no beeps during start up. Could it be that 300w psu isnt enough? Its not the moniter (tested on other pc), so what the hell can it be?

I've never used that reseller's brand of PSU but I've come across plenty of other 300W PSU's that just can't handle the load required across the combined 3.3 & 5 volt rails wattage wise for Athlon setups (the bare minimum is 185W across those 2 rails though I prefer at least 200W). So I'd try a higher wattage PSU (Antec 420W PSU's have never failed me plus they throw 200W across those 2 power rails).

Ok, but is that a most probable cause, because I'm gonna buy one later today then.

From what I've come across, yes it is, as most 300W PSU only supply 165W across those 2 rails (some as low as 135W and this ratin' is labelled on most decent PSU's).

Ok, many many thanks for the help, you were extremely quick! I'll let you know how things go

Thread Information