Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can different speed ram be used together?

I have 512 pc2100 samsung ram and just got 512 pc2700 samsung ram. (It was supposed to be pc2100 but the online company sent me 2700) I run a asus 266kt mb just for anyone interested. Can I use both memory together, while it limits the 2700 to 2100 speed?

you can use them together if you wish. as you seem to know, the RAM will only run as fast as the slowest module and no faster than the FSB. In this case, both of those will keep the DDR333 running at DDR266 speeds.

:cheers:
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    you can use them together if you wish. as you seem to know, the RAM will only run as fast as the slowest module and no faster than the FSB. In this case, both of those will keep the DDR333 running at DDR266 speeds.

:cheers:
    Yes....and no. On a KT266 board, the ram will run no faster than the FSB. On a nForce 2 board, you can run ram at faster than FSB, not that it will make a huge amount of diffrence. You can run 333 mem speeds on a KT266, but only by overclocking. But you should have no trouble- I was running 1 stick of DDR266/ 256mb and 1 stick of DDR333/ 512mb in my Asus A7V-266-E, untill I got a new board to replace the Asus (the USB and printer ports both failed).

Thread Information