Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: System Bottlenecking / RAM usage higher than should be

Ok this is my first post here. I just went through many of the tweak guides that are on the site trying to optimize my system as much as possible. Well while some windows functions are running faster, I'm still getting a higher load on my RAM than what should be there.

First, my system specs
    p4 2.26ghz 513kb cache
    1024 pc2700 ddr
    128mb GeForce FX5700 Ultra
    80g Western Digital @ 7200rpm

Now, here's what I've done. I've run Norton's twice. I've run Ad-Aware twice. I've gone through and followed the WinXP tweak guide nearly to the T. I've run CachemanXP, WinOptimizer Platinum, Sandra 2004, etc etc etc. No virus/trojan/spyware/etc was found on the system. Everything seems to be running great. However, Cacheman as well as another RAM management utility I have as well as my IRC script are all saying I have a load of about 24-27% on my ram. However, in the processes Cacheman/XP/utils show only about 128mb worth of use.

Memory Usage: {Usage: 286/1023MB (27.96%)}

And here's the CachemanXP log...
    --- Operating System ---

Windows XP Home Edition SP1

--- CPU ---

Intel Pentium 4 2267 MHz

--- Display adapter ---

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra

Driver version: 5.3.0.3

--- RAM ---

Usage: 291/1023 MBytes

Peak Usage: 291 MBytes

--- Paging File ---

Usage: 21/166 MBytes

Allocation: 166/1024 MBytes

--- Running Processes ---

C:\Program Files\CachemanXP\CachemanXP.exe | 0.58 MBytes
    C:\Program Files\CachemanXP\CachemanXPSettings.exe | 6.14 MBytes
    \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe | 3.39 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE | 24.73 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Grxp4exe.exe | 2.53 MBytes
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe | 34.67 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe | 1.00 MBytes
    C:\mIRC Power Pack\mirc.exe | 17.21 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe | 2.22 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe | 2.93 MBytes
    \SystemRoot\System32\smss.exe | 0.45 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe | 3.49 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe | 3.10 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe | 14.80 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe | 2.32 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe | 2.27 MBytes
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe | 2.21 MBytes
    \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe | 5.00 MBytes

The total processes in MBs doesn't add up to what's being used and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Also, I ran a 3dMark before and after I did the tweaks on the site. Before the site my 3dmark score was 2365, after my 3dmark score was 2375. Only a 10 point increase. When compared against people with less ram but the same 2.2 - 2.4 p4 and the same graphics card, my score is a joke. Some of them were getting twice my score. I don't get it. I've done nearly everything any tutorial or guide has said to do.

Any ideas as to why my 3dmark score sucks so bad with this system? Why it's bottlenecking? And why I'm missing about 150mb's of RAM usage to some undetectable entity? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You dont happen to have multiple users on your PC do you? If so, is fast user switching enabled?

No. When I set XP up I disabled that crap, but also just did the winXP optimization guide on tweaktown which takes you through disabling that which I double checked to be sure was off. It's off. Grrr. It's wierd.

Well I think the high RAM usage is just XP taking advantage of the situation to make things smoother, its really nothing to worry about. As for the video card, download the Forceware 53.03 and install it.

I'm running the 53.03's (see under CachemanXP logfile). Even if windows is "making it smoother", where's the RAM being used? None of the utilities I've tried, nor taskmanager seem to account for the missing 140megs of RAM that's being used somewhere. And then why is my 3dmark score so low compared to others who have lesser systems? I guess I should just scrap this rig and start over.

If your still having problems, I'd just reformat and reinstall Windows

Thread Information