Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: win restart + truncation

If windows XP restarts automatically/was shut down improperly, then on restart scan disk occurs. I have noticed for example files I may have been downloading are truncated and of course this means I have to start downloads again. this is very annoying. anyone know how i can prevent/reduce this?
    thanks
    Eye See You..........

Solve the restarting problem.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

you don't have to let checkdisk or scandisk run after bad shutdowns/restarts. At the beginning you have the option to skip testing, but once it gets started it's best to let it finish.

If the PC reboots in the middle of a download you stand a good chance of corrupting or losing the download entirely.

But as zeradul bluntly stated, solving the problems that are causing the restarts in the first place is the best solution ;)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

That would be the ideal solution, yes.

If you are downloading in a P2P-type situation it is good insurance to occasionally copy the incomplete file in your download folder to another location. That way, if an unexpected event occurs, you don't have to recreate the entire file. Simply place the last copy back in the DL folder and resume with it.

When your DL'ing a Linux distro or something large it can really save a lot of time.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

As I keep tellin' ppl, go to ya Control Panel/Admin. Tools and double click on all red flagged errors in the Event Viewer under system and applications then tell us what they say exactly.

under system the following error:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service ImapiService with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:
    {520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104BA11C5E}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

usually the pc shuts down giving me an IRQ_not_equal error. I'll post the full message if it happens again. Thought it was the memory but tried other memory sticks in there and it still happens.
    thanks for help
    Eye See You..........

That other error message would be helpful though ya can find out what most of those stop errors mean at this page but ya can also test ya memory with Memtest86.

still hasnt crashed again-fingers crossed. thanx for ur help though
    Eye See You..........

Thread Information