Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! Dead system!!!!

Ok, got this system I put together, had some issues, RMA'd the mobo to DFI, when I got it back, it wouldn't recognize my CPU fan speed sensor, or either of my primary IDE drives (one sata HDD Primary master, CD/RW- Primary Slave on IDE) After re-booting 4 or 5 times trying to figure this out, the system would no longer boot, no signal, nada, and when i power on, all my mobo LED's, fans, etc. flicker and my cold cathodes only light up halfway, does this sound like a PSU problem, or is something else drawing too much/shorted/etc? HELP!!! I've got a $2k paperweight!!!!
    I'm getting ready to try a voltmeter on all molex and see what i find, tested one and got 12.9 volts, a little high? then if nothing gonna start unplugging one drive/fan/controller at a time to see if maybe a component went bad...
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev. 1.1
    AMD FX-4100 BE
    8GB G.Skill DDR3
    Radeon HD6870
    Soundblaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Pro
    Logitech G15
    Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

BTW, the PSU is a 600w no-name aluminum I picked up new for around $50 I think. thinking of switching to a 500W Aspire if it turns out to be the problem. I forget the name of mine that was on the box, gold in color.. maybe Powertek????
    AMD FX-4100 BE
    8GB G.Skill DDR3
    Radeon HD6870
    Logitech G15

When troubleshooting a system, you always want to start off by disconnecting all unnecessary peripherals... like your lighting effects mentioned above. From there you can begin testing out different subsystems and find out where the problem lies. After you unhook all the extra toys, if the system still acts up then go to a basic structure (CPU, memory, video, one hard drive) and see if you can boot up. If so, then add components one at a time until you find the culprit.

Oh, and no-name power supplies are generally not worth the money; even when they are boldly rated at 600w. I have found the Thermaltake Butterfly 480 watt model to be among the most consistent PSUs on the market right now. Plus the included lighting effects built into the unit are a nice touch if you have a high-rise side window.

Good luck!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Well, I found the bootup problem, my Radeon 9800 Pro HAS to be on a splitter to work, plug it straight in and nothing works right, so now that this DFI piece of crap boots up, still won't recognize my serial ATA HDD or Primary Slave IDE drive.... I RMA'd it to DFI for other problems, and when I get it back, now this!!! It's a DFI LanParty NFII Ultra, and I'll never buy another baord from DFI again, had this system almost 3 months now and it hasn't run yet, mainly from mobo problems and slow response, or none at all, from their tech support.

AMD FX-4100 BE
    8GB G.Skill DDR3
    Radeon HD6870
    Logitech G15

Having what I think is a very serious problem. Having problems booting my system the other day, new system, never been ran really. Finally figured out that my Radeon 9800 Pro HAD to have it's seperate power on a splitter to work right, now system is not booting again, and everything (fans, lights, etc.) running about half speed/power. When I unplug the video card, everything picks right up (except still won't boot because of video card power unplugged message). When the video card is plugged in, i took a molex extension that was on a fan on the other end of the splitter and measured the AC Voltage (multimeter set on ACV and 200) got a reading of 25.6, 25.6 volts?????!!! WAAAAAY too high. I unplugged it and measured one of the molex plugs, got 15.6 volts, Looks like a bad cheapie PSU, but could it be the video card causing the problem? (trying to draw waaay too much?)????
    HELP!!!!:shrug:
    AMD FX-4100 BE
    8GB G.Skill DDR3
    Radeon HD6870
    Logitech G15

ac?

Anyway, try a different gfx card but try a different psu first.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

After spendin' all that money on hardware and then stickin' a no-name PSU in it (most no-name PSU's won't even match their labelled ratings)? : omg:
    I'd certainly try a quality PSU in there 1st followed by another video card if the other PSU doesn't help.

Think I'm gonna order me a 480w Thermaltake butterfly today. In addition to the specs below i've also got a 60mm fan, HDD cooler, and 5 80mm fans going (3 LED, 2 plain), I've been told 480 should be plenty... this sound good? right now the cheapie is a 600w..... the cheapie I've got is all over eBay, gold in color, no name brand (or any brand at all) 600w aluminum with 8 molex, goes for about 59.99, so anyone else looking at them, beware, as this sounds like it could be my problem....
    AMD FX-4100 BE
    8GB G.Skill DDR3
    Radeon HD6870
    Logitech G15

Let us know how things turn out when the new PSU arrives. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

i took a molex extension that was on a fan on the other end of the splitter and measured the AC Voltage (multimeter set on ACV and 200) got a reading of 25.6, 25.6 volts?????!!!
    LOL Dude, the only thing that runs on AC power is your power supply... Everything else is DC in your computer.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information