Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP + R9500 Pro = Apparent Video Playback Issues

Just to clarify (getting off-topic now), asklepios was completely wrong about the server statistics. While more than half of web servers are using Apache, only about 30% of them use Linux (inlcuding TweakTown). More use Windows and many use regular UNIX, and there's no telling what file systems they're using (most will probably not be ext3, though). His point that you are likely to download something from a server using a different file system stands, though.
    Enough wasted time on that subject. :D

One other thing you could try is downloading a video and watching it. I'll let you find the video (game preview? no idea what you download), but this will tell us whether there actually is something wrong with your video files. It's an alternative to playing it in someone else's computer (which I see will be a problem for you).
    I can't think of much else you can try. I suppose a virus scan couldn't hurt (get AVG from my signature if you don't have it).

Update.

Ok, I was typing this long ass detailed post when my system froze and I lost everything I'd typed. That really sucked. So I'm gonna try right now to type as much detail as I can but as quickly as I can so it doesn't happen again. Suffice it to say the problem may be getting worse if its causing my system to freeze when I'm simply typing a forum reply...

Anyway, here I go. I reverted to v4.3 Catalysts properly (using the guide I mentioned earlier) and I downloaded the WMP setup program off the microsoft website. Upon launching the program and passing the EULA crap, the program quickly copied the files needed to install WMP and then launched the WMP configuration wizard. This was unexpected since I assumed it would prompt me with a "WMP already detected" or a "Repair Installation" option or something along those lines, but it didn't. I can only hope the program did the equivalent of a "Repair Installation" option and didn't just scan the files I already had, saw that they were the latest and then skipped the actual installation of any of the files.

So I started WMP and I configured the options as I had before except for two exceptions: I unticked both the "Enable full-screen mode switch" and the "Disable full-screen controls" checkboxes. (Under Tools > Options > Performance Tab > Advanced...blah blah blah, you'll find it) The disabling of the former checkbox was a recommendation Microsoft suggested to people having system freezes during video playback (a.k.a. Me) and the latter was a decision I made upon realized I never had those popup controls that occur when you're watching a video in full-screen mode and you move your mouse in Win98SE. I'd gotten quite used to using ALT+ENTER and THEN doing my video time seeking under my WMP in Win98SE, so disabling this unnecessary option only made sense.

Now here's the meat:

Upon playing a video file (same format as previously used video files, but not the exact same video) I got a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop error within two minutes. BUT the error also included this line:

*The problem appears to have been caused by the following file: ati2dvag.dll*

This is the first time this line has appeared and supposedly gives me a name to the ugly face that is my difficulties. One of the major Catalyst drivers appears to be causing my problem.

But this is almost like taking 2 steps back rather then a step forward. If the Catalysts were my problem all along, why didn't this happen when I was using the Catalysts under Win98SE? Sure, the driver is configured differently for different OSs, but their main functions should still be the same. Also, while I was using v4.2 under Win98SE (v4.3 wasn't out yet, it came out after I migrated to WinXP), I STILL tested the WinXP v4.2 of the Catalysts and STILL got my system frozen. And even if all that doesn't matter and the v4.3 Catalyst for WinXP is to blame, how the hell can I be playing games like only a gamer can and receive no issues, but as soon as I play a standard video file, all hell breaks loose?

ARGH! :grr:

I'm going to download an episode of Red vs Blue off http://www.redvsblue.com which also uses the DivX codec and see if I get the same issue when playing a "fresh" video file rather then a "used" one, but I'm sure the error will still occur.

Armed with this new information about the ati2dvag.dll supposedly causing the error, what do I do next???

-Fiercest

P.S. The test that returned the error with the information about the ati2dvag.dll file was conducted under a system environment where the "ATI Smart" service was set to *AUTOMATIC* (rather then Disabled as the guides suggest) and the "Enable Write Combining" checkbox under the Troubleshooting tab of the ATI Control Panel was *UNTICKED.* These settings were supposed to provide a more compatible and sound playback experience, but neither seemed to do much good.

:shock: New thought!!

The stop error that occured was a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error! Doesn't that mean the problem is probably occuring with regards to my memory???

I know its not my virtual memory cause it has 2 freaking gigs to play with. And my Radeon 9500 Pro, or RAM timings aren't overclocked or anything like that...

Does this error mean either my 512 MB of RAM or my R9500 Pro's 128 MB of RAM are failing!?!? If replacing these components would be the best bet to solving my problems I'd like to know, but damnit it would REALLY SUCK if I had to worry about system RAM and video card replacements right now. I've yet to find that Money Tree I was always told didn't exist but was determined to find when I was 7 years old... :cry:

-Fiercest

Read these (top two Google result from a search for PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA):

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...d_stp_ccgm.asp
    http://www.osr.com/ddk/ddtools/bccodes_4qsn.htm

Something seems to be going way wrong with these Catalyst drivers. Are you absolutely positive you are using the right ones?

Judging from all this I would say either your mobo doesn't like your card (not likely) or your card is just somehow damaged (assuming you haven't somehow screwed up the drivers). The card is probably the problem.

Assuming we can't find a fix for this, just how much are you willing to spend on a new card?

Do you have more than one stick of RAM to play with? Is the 512 on one stick or do you have two 256MB sticks? Can you remove one stick at a time or buy/beg/borrow another stick to try? Did a bit of searching as well ... just because the error mentions the ati file that it is trying to acess does not eliminate the fact that the message also points to memory issues. It's quite possible that if your memory is failing that it will not be able to access certain pertainent files when they are needed. Have you tried memtest? http://www.memtest86.com/
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

In response to Yawgm0th:

Thanks for searching out those links. I'm already familiar with the first one from the Resource Kit Documentation but I'd never seen the second one before. Too bad it's predicting the doom of my system RAM or video RAM.

I'm absolutely positive I'm using the right Catalyst drivers. I mean, I deleted the setup program of the v4.3 Catalysts off my HDD and redownloaded it just to be safe. Then I installed them using the "Catalyst Installation" guide instructions. I'm not sure if I can get anymore correct then that.

I've been using this video card for at least half a year now so I'm sure it gets along with my mobo fine. As for the integrity of the card, I can't exactly vouch for it since this is the first time something like this has happened. If the card is damaged or in the process of breaking down, it still doesn't explain why I can play video games just fine and have video playback crashing and burning. Still, you're right in saying the card itself is probably the problem.

Assuming we can't find a fix for this, I'm willing to spend $0.00 on a new card, lol. I'd love to use this error as an excuse to splurge on a brand new 256MB Radeon 9800 XT, but I have neither the money nor the time to GET the money. I have a job and all but I did a little calculated the other day regarding my income and my bills and suffice it to say, I won't be able to purchase an expensive piece of hardware (such as a new vid card) until sometime around Christmas this year. And the fact that I have to spend money FOR Christmas on OTHER PEOPLE doesn't help either... :snip:

In response to PrairieDawg:

My system RAM consists of three sticks. The first one is of 256MB, while the second and third are 128MB sticks. Yeah yeah, I know that isn't the world's greatest RAM configuration but it's what I got and it's done the job flawlessly for over two years. I'm only receiving memory related problem as of 48 hours ago.

No, I've not tried Memtest but I'll download it now. What does it do? Any special test or settings I need to have it run?

-Fiercest

I was thinking more along the lines of a Radeon 9600SEfor $70. But if you aboslutely have no method of making that kind of money, I guess you can forget it. And it might be the RAM. But that's even more expensive to replace (in this case, probably). :(

Try this link for your drivers. I haven't read through the Catalyst guide (don't have an ATI card ATM), but it shouldn't be neccesarry for installing the drivers to a functional point. Download the catalyst drivers from that link, and install them (read any instructions they come with). This error can be caused by bad drivers. If you still have problems, and memtest says your RAM is fine, that would be a very good indicator that the problem lies with the video card itself.

I wouldn't buy a Radeon 9600 for several reasons I learned about 6 months ago when I was researching video card reviews really hardcore, trying to find the perfect affordable video card for my rig. I can tell you're probably curious what I'm talking about now, so to sum it up I'll say this:

The Radeon 9500 Pro was essentially an oopsie-daisy for ATI. They meant to make the cards and meant to sell them but they weren't very cost effective. In laymans terms, it was almost like ATI was giving away a Radeon 9700 Pro for every Radeon 9500 Pro they sold, the only difference between the two being the bus interface limitations of the 9500 Pro. (128-bit for the 9500, 256-bit for the 9700)

So ATI essentially restructured their product line to make their dollar return on investment more efficient by releasing 9600s and 9800s as the successors of the 9500 and 9700 lines respectfully. (Notice how the 9500s and 9700s are no longer for sale from ATI. Not the original, non-All In Wonder cards anyway) However, while the 9800s were truly a slightly faster version of the 9700s, the 9600s were actually slower then the 9500s, at least the Pro versions anyway.

To make a long story short, if I switched out my current Radeon 9500 Pro for a Radeon 9600 Pro, I'd actually be parting with money for a slower video card.

Anyway, as to the link you gave me, thank you, but thats the link I've been using all this time. I only download Catalysts from ATIs own site. I clicked on that link and laughed out loud because I'd already seen it today at least 3 times already. But still, thanks for trying bro, I really do appreciate the lengths everyones going through for me. :cheers:

FYI, the ATI "Catalyst Installation" guide I've been using to install the Catalysts is basically a severely more thorough version of what ATI themselves say in their uninstall instructions. So I've definately NOT been doing any harm by installing my Catalysts using the guide.

I've yet to try memtest yet as I wanted to download and play a few more "fresh" videos to be absolutely sure what the Red vs Blue episode experiment showed me. I'll post my findings in a bit.

-Fiercest

Try this memtest 86+ . Dowload the iso version and burn it to a cd , then boot from it and let it run all night. You never did say if you tried each ramstick on it's own.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Interesting about the R9500s. Didn't know that, but hardware searches prove it. That 9600 was only 64-bit but some of the 9500s I found were 128-bit with more memory, too.
    Here's a Radeon 9500I found in case you need to replace your current card. $120 isn't bad for a 128-bit video card. You can download the videos if you want, but all signs (thus far) point to hardware problem (rather than bad files or faulty software). Unless someone finds something, I would say use memtest to determine if the problem is with the RAM or the video (and I'd put my money on the video). To make absolutely certain, try putting it in another computer if you can. I don't like the sound of your friend's so maybe a computer other than that would be a better test.

If you have another Radeon card that you know works, putting that in your own computer would be an even better test.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information