Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PSU Question

Default PSU Question

OK I think im lacking power here. (I have a 165 watt PSU) So i have 2 case fans, video card fan, heat sink fan and cd rom drive/ cd-rw drive /dvd drive /floppy drive and of course a Maxtor 60 Gig 7200 rpm hard drive and 512 memory. So the problem is from a clean install i can't run XP PRO it goes to the welcome window and bogs down to where it takes 10 to 15 min to get into the os But i clean installed windows ME and it runs like a hot dam. I was running XP PRO before i added the DVD player and it ran fine, do i have to many things hooked up for the amount of wattage iv'e got. I have the DVD player as slave & on the middle of the same ide cable as the hard drive.
    Thanks

it sounds to me that it is your PSU so it looks liek its time to upgrade

What type of CPU and mainboard are you using?

Via Mother board VL33-S and It's a P4 1.7 cpu with heat sink and fan Via chip set

What have you got on the other IDE channel and if you have nothing on it then why arn't you running the DVD as the master of it?

My hard drive is on the other end so it's got to be on Master right

But you should have two IDE channels on that mainboard so if yo have atm the hard drive and the DVD on one IDE channel then what have you got on the other?

OK on one ide channel i have my cd rom & cd burner on the other ide channel i have my hard drive & dvd player

Ok then maybe the PSU will need replacing but if that PC of your's is built by an "Name" brand company then maybe setting the drives for Cable Select will work or ditch the CDROM and put the DVD in its place (there's really no need to have both plus a burner).

I built this machine myself and yeah i could get rid of the cd rom i have a new PSU on the way 400 watt that i bought on ebay then maybe i'll beable to load XP PRO again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information