Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: print spooler error

Default Re: print spooler error

New member of this board, I'm a member of bbs systems like this currently.

"printer operation cannot continue due to lack of resources. The printer subsystem is unavailable".

I've found this site searching salutions to this same problem and the last post on this thread was on 10-20.

So what's the deal with this problem. I also have a printer error and it's on windows 2000. I've updated a few problems with IE and a few other security problems with windows 2000 and now I can't get spoolsrv.exe to load properly. It's setup as automatic and I can load it manualy as in double clicking on it in c:/winnt/system32/spoolsrv.exe but doesn't show as started in services.

In services when I try to start printer spooler it says: "Could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start."

Remote Procedure Call is loaded and I still don't know where to take this problem. This is the first time I've had a problem with windows 2000 that I haven't been able to fix with out fdisk and I don't want to take it down that road.

Help Please!!!

Phoenix, AZ (by way of Puerto Rico & SoCal.

Forgive me if I seem ignorant, but are you saying that the presence of those programs that you listed may have initially triggered the problem that caused the error 1068? If that's what you're saying, how would one go about checking to see if the program were the cause of the problem? And, more importantly, how would one then go about rectifying the situation? (I have been unable to print since the summer. When I click on the "Add Printer" icon, I get an immediat pop-up that tells me that the operation can't be completed. I did follow the path given to the print spooler, and the rpc & verified that both were enabled and running. i noticed that the rpc locator was not running so i clicked start on that one, but i am still getting the 1068 error. Do you have any ideas or suggestions for me?
    I wondered about your comments, because I think that i have (or had) at least one of those programs on my computer. I'm not sure if the printing problem surfaced before or after any of the programs was installed. It seems like the printing difficulty came first. But that won't stop me from going down any road you have to offer as long as the possibility is there that, at the end of the road, I will be able to print!

No, no programs have been listed that would prevent the Print Spooler from starting. A lot more than Print Spooler is dependant on RPC so checking to make sure it's running won't do much.

I'd say put the software CD that came with the printer in and follow its instructions. Simply adding the printer may not work at this point.

Also, you can try posting some screenshots of services.msc. Don't waste your time with this right away though, because there may be simpler ways of fixing this...

Click Start, then Run, then type services.msc and click OK. Maximize the window and take a screenshot by pressing "Alt" + "Ctrl" + "Print Scrn|SysRq" (or something similar, depending on the keyboard. Then, fo to Start, Run, and type mspaint this time. You can past your screenshot with Ctrl + V. Go to File > Save as... and save it as a jpeg by clicking the arrow next to the words by "Save a file type" and choose JPEG. Click "Go Advanced" when you come to post instead of using the Quick Reply and click "Manage Attachments." Find your file (you should know where you saved it and what you saved it as) and select it. Do the same for each screenshot, and you'll need several. This will allow me to know whether or not you have any disabled printer software that print spooler needs.

Smile Re: print spooler error

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    ...Also, you can try posting some screenshots of services.msc. Don't waste your time with this right away though, because there may be simpler ways of fixing this...

Click Start, then Run, then type services.msc and click OK. Maximize the window and take a screenshot by pressing "Alt" + "Ctrl" + "P...rint Scrn|SysRq" .....
    Hi-Thank u 4 replying...Please, again, forgive me, but didn't you advise me not to waste my time w/ printing a screenshot right away, becaue there may be simpler way of fixing this? i thought that you were then going to suggest those simpler way(s) of fixing this. But your step by step is for printing a screen shot and posting it.
    Are there/Is there any simpler way(s) for solving this dilemma? If so, what are they??? and could you provide stepbystep because, evidently, i am lame. ha!ha!

The first thing I told you to do (see my second paragraph) would be the easier alternative, so try that first.

I had to reinstall the OS to be able to fix the problem I was having with mine. I know it's the cheap way out but I had to use the printer for work and I couldn't spend any more time thinking about it.

Thanks though.
    Windows 2000 user and member of www.dodgeintrepid.net

kc9afc - i think that's what i'm going to do - reinstall windows. because, due to a seperate issue (which makes me too tired to even think about exploring now) i can't get online at this time from that computer - so to post my screenshots of the services would entail copying those to a cd, bringing that cd to this computer, and then uploading from the cd for your review....
    now that i put the 2 options in writing, maybe it would be easier to post the screenshots....
    which do you recommend, Yawgm0th?

oh- Yawgm0th - my attempts to reinstall the printer from the cd were unsuccessful.
    :( wahhhh!!!!! lol

Usually, I recommend trying to work through problems, but something like this can lead to complicated, pointless attempts at fixing something that would be done easier by reinstalling Windows. If you're up to it, go for it.

Talking Re: print spooler error

A 1068 is a service dependency error. Print Spooler can't start because it thinks a service it depends on is not running.

Click: start-run-"services.msc"

Go into services and check its dependencies, it should just be the RPC service, which you shouldn't be able to stop, check that RPC is running

Double click print spooler and click the dependencies tab. See if there are any other dependencies set besides rpc. If so you will want to find them in services and make sure they are set to automatic and are running (will probably need to start them).

Then try to start "Print Spooler" service, should work. May need to reinstall printer drivers then.

I too had the same problem and now it works. I did some registry cleaning a week ago and must have deleted something I needed...

Like I said, RPC isn't even worth checking. Unless the printer has installed a driver that makes the print spooler depend on another service, which is possible, it's a very strange problem. RPC will always be running, or you'll have problems far worse than printing problems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information