Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem with driver conflict Audigy ZS and MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum mobo

Default Problem with driver conflict Audigy ZS and MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum mobo

Hi all,

Here is my problem. I just put together my PC and everything was fine until after I installed Windows XP Pro and installed my motherboard drivers and utilities (MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum) from the CD that came with the mobo. The CD included drivers for the nVidia nForce 3 Ultra platform and other MSI utilities such as Core Center, DigiCell, MSI Live Update, etc.)

After installing everything on that CD, the computer restarted fine and dandy. Next I installed the video card drivers with no problem and the PC restarted fine. It was not until I installed the dreaded Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS drivers for my Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card that all the problems and errors started popping up. I installed the entire CD that came with the card (all drivers and media source). Once I rebooted, the first error upon Windows startup was "nvraidservice.exe" error message that says it was interrupted and could not start-up. After closing that pop-up, a slew of other pop-ups came up. These were the utilities I installed for my motherboard (Core Center, DigiCell, MSI Live Update, etc.). The pop-ups all say drivers not loaded and the application did not start up. But once I uninstalled the Audigy 2 ZS drivers, everything is fine and no errors upon Windows startup.

I've disabled the onboard sound via the BIOS and even checked if there was any nVidia nForce audio listings in the Device Manager and found nothing there to disable. I've tried installed the drivers in every combination possible (installing the Audigy first then mobo drivers and vice versa). I did however find the lone problem by process of elimination, the Audigy ZS 2 drivers for Windows. It wasn't the media source or any other Creative application. Just the plain drivers. I've tried updating the drivers as well, but the same problems keep popping up.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? I'm about to bring my PC to a computer shop to see if he can do something about this. I'm not sure what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Default Re: Problem with driver conflict Audigy ZS and MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum mobo

If installing the sound card is the only thing that causes the problem, then either RMA the sound card or don't use it (if you can't or won't RMA it). The MSI K8N Neo2 has great onboard sound anyway,

Default Re: Problem with driver conflict Audigy ZS and MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum mobo

What slot is it in? And is the ob sound disabled in the bios?
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Hey guys,

No, its not the sound card. The sound card works fine. Its just that I get the error from the nvraidservice.exe upon Windows startup.

As for the slot its in, its on the last slot. I've tried the 2nd to last slot and it still is the same. I tried messing around with the IRQs last night and it seemed to have fixed the problem, but then I took out the sound card to get my Audigy Platinum drive out to RMA it. After I started back up, I ran into the same error messages again.

Jeff

I have the same motherboard and just installed the same Audigy 2 ZS and have the same problem. Typical. The strange thing is that the RAID seems to be working fine. As if something with the Audigy 2 ZS driver stimulates the RAID driver into thinking there is a problem. I'm doing a RAID 0 array with 2 seagate 200GB SATA drives.

I'll try some troubleshooting as well and post any results I find.

Okay here is my solution:

1) I went to www.creative.com , clicked on support, choose my Audigy2 ZS card and OS and chose Filetype "Driver" to get only the drivers. (called "Driver Update" 16.24MB dated 29 Jul 04)
    2) Removed ALL creative Audigy Software and drivers.
    3) Removed the EAX Unified driver (installed with some games)
    4) Removed remnant ALC 850 drivers.
    5) Rebooted and canceled the "Found new hardware."
    6) Installed the Driver package I downloaded and rebooted.

It seemed the error occurred when the Creative Volume Icon (not the standard windows icon) appeared in the taskbar. Before doing the above steps, I first did a driver update without uninstalling. The first reboot was fine (and I did notice there was no volume control in the taskbar), the second reboot had the raid error that popped up the moment the silver creative vol icon appeared in the task bar. Whichever driver loads that icon may be the culprit. I did the above steps and my computer did not display the RAID error after 2 reboots now. Kinda sucks not having all of the bells and whistles, but I am running my audio via coax to a receiver so I don't need them.

If anything changes I'll post more. GOOD LUCK!
    Last edited by AngryGuy; 11-18-2004 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Added a step :)

Okay here is the solution if you want to keep all of the software bells and whistles (however if you are using coax digital out see below before bothering with included software).

1) Run msconfig (START>RUN>Msconfig) and choose the startup tab
    2) Disable "SBDrvDet."
    3) Reboot and when msconfig pops up you can check the box that prevents it from displaying msconfig on bootup.

I just got off the phone with Creative support and their recommendation was to locate startup items beginning with CT. After some trial and error, the SBDrvDet was the culprit.

REGARDING DIGITAL OUT
    Creative also confirmed that if you are outputting a digital signal only (Digital out) to a receiver that the Soundblaster cards DO NOT produce a Dolby or DTS digital signal despite the plethora of logos pasted all over the box. It is the responsibility of the software or game to send the AC-3 signal through the card to the receiver. Thought this info would be helpful since I just spent a day wondering why nothing but the nDVD player was outputting Dolby Digital (even games that claimed 5.1 support). The bundled Creative Digital DTS and THX utilities only output 2-channel unless you're using the analog tri-mini plug speaker connects and NOT not the digital/coax out (although they specifically proivide digital or analog selections in these control panels which is confusing). That sucks because I thought the onboard Neo2 sound was misbehaving by not outputting Digital via coax or spdif, and buying the "logo approved" Audigy2 ZS would help. I guess unless you really need the cpu relief and higher S/n ratio the Audigy2 ZS provides, you can just stick with the Neo2 onboard sound.

Good Luck!

Hello All,

Ok, I have the same MOBO and the same Sound Card. All your posts pointed me in the right direction, but the actual fix is very simple. Run MSCONFIG go to Startup and disable these two and only these two processes: RCMan and SBDrvDET. I figured the combination out by trial and error. After some research I figured out what the processes were and why the are probably causing problems. RCMan is for the Platinum card remote control and SBdrvDet is to detect the Platinum card Front panel controler system. Since you get neither of the features with the Audigy2 ZS just nerf them and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the help all. Hopefully this post will help others as well.

Ren

Hi all,

That last solution worked for me (I have the same mobo and same soundcard), but I have detected a new problem now: when you change between users / sessions, the damned popus appear again. I don't have a clue why this happens, any ideas?

Thx

Thread Information