Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP




  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,525

    Default Re: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP

    Australia will likely be different to where you are as here so long as you know what you're doing there's no real need for cert's unless you're planning on working for a large or high profile company in most cases.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP

    Ok well I'll make some phone calls, Im thinking I sould get my A+ anyway possably better pay then, and I wont have to ask as much questions haha.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

    Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP

    maximus, I am not too sure what it is that diagram means by "dual". Does that refer to having 2 devices on the primary IDE channel or having devices on both the primary and secondary channels?Thanks.

    -zwqg1985

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    848

    Default Re: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP

    Quote Originally Posted by zwqg1985
    maximus, I am not too sure what it is that diagram means by "dual". Does that refer to having 2 devices on the primary IDE channel or having devices on both the primary and secondary channels?Thanks.

    -zwqg1985
    Yes it means having two drives on one channel(either primary or secondary). As far as cable select goes, I have found that it only works with two drives anyway(both need to be cs) and the one on the end will end up as master and the middle will be slave(when cs works, which it doesnt always).
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

    opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP

    Maximus,

    Thanks for your advice, I still have yet to test out that solution (i'll probably try tonight or this weekend). I realize that you got this information directly from WD themselves, but what i don't understand is why they say this problem that I have would be solved by removing the jumper. Thus far, I have set it to CS and the BIOS correctly detected it as the master on the Primary IDE channel even though it was the only device on the channel. Also I have tried setting manually to master and the BIOS still correctly detected that it was the master on the primary channel even though it was the only device there. In both of those instances, the windows XP installer would give me those problems, but I just wonder how removing the jumper altogether would change anything if my BIOS already detected my HDD in the proper configuration when I had left it connected. If you have any thoughts, please share. Thanks.

    -zwqg1985

    Edit:
    what i mean by "those problems" is of course the freezing of the xp installer that this thread was created to solve. Just wanted to be as unambiguous as possible. Thanks.
    Last edited by zwqg1985; 11-20-2004 at 12:17 AM. Reason: to specify what "those problems" means

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    848

    Default Re: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP

    Quote Originally Posted by zwqg1985
    Maximus,

    Thanks for your advice, I still have yet to test out that solution (i'll probably try tonight or this weekend). I realize that you got this information directly from WD themselves, but what i don't understand is why they say this problem that I have would be solved by removing the jumper. Thus far, I have set it to CS and the BIOS correctly detected it as the master on the Primary IDE channel even though it was the only device on the channel. Also I have tried setting manually to master and the BIOS still correctly detected that it was the master on the primary channel even though it was the only device there. In both of those instances, the windows XP installer would give me those problems, but I just wonder how removing the jumper altogether would change anything if my BIOS already detected my HDD in the proper configuration when I had left it connected. If you have any thoughts, please share. Thanks.

    -zwqg1985

    Edit:
    what i mean by "those problems" is of course the freezing of the xp installer that this thread was created to solve. Just wanted to be as unambiguous as possible. Thanks.

    This is actually common knowledge, I'm surprised that nobody else said it first. I have witnessed mobo's and other various pc parts being rma'd because of this numerous times, what a waste of time and money, only to finally discover that the jumper was incorrectly set all along. Wd is the only company that does this. They include this in their instalation instructions, online instructions and on the drive sticker itself(shows a diagram of this on the drive itself).
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

    opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP

    Well, I tested a known working 2500+ cpu, and it worked! Everything ran perfect. So I'm gonna blame the cpu. But just for tech sake I am going to test your jumper set up right now, I just happen to have brought the computer to work with me. I'll put the old cpu back in and remove the jumper. brb.
    Architectural Visualization Specialist

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP

    Nope, jumper removal did not work. But of course I also went back to the old motherboard... I'll try the new one again and see if it works with that.
    Architectural Visualization Specialist

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Austin, TX, USA
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP

    I can only say that I hope to GOD almighty that it is not my processor that is causing this problem. I don't have another 100+ bucks to blow on a cpu right now ( universities tend to make one have a negative networth, if u know what i mean). I'll give the jumper solution a try during this thanksgiving break. Hope you get xp to work with your other processor, Corbinator.

    -zwqg1985

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    848

    Default Re: New AMD Machine Won't Install XP

    Quote Originally Posted by Corbinator
    Well, I tested a known working 2500+ cpu, and it worked! Everything ran perfect. So I'm gonna blame the cpu. But just for tech sake I am going to test your jumper set up right now, I just happen to have brought the computer to work with me. I'll put the old cpu back in and remove the jumper. brb.
    I was hoping it was not that serious.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

    opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •