Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Is there conflicts with AMD64 and windows?

Question Is there conflicts with AMD64 and windows?

First of all Merry Christmas everyone.

Secondly, im building a new puter and am wondering if there is conflicts with AMD64 processors, new 6800gt vid card, and windows xp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I seem be getting as fatal error after i install the drivers to the vid card, and or install service pak II. Ive tried installing in different order, not installing either one, and each one by themselves. Ive had to reinstall the o/s four times. It just seems that its so unstable. the mobo is asus A8V deluxe, socket 939.
    Thanks people

Default Re: Is there conflicts with AMD64 and windows?

Well, what's the complete specs of this system, and what error(s) specifically are you getting?

Asus A8V Delux, amd 3400, Leadtek 6800gt, LG dvd, 1g ram (PNY), 200GB western digital IEDE. Im not getting any messages per say, just a blue screen that says fatal system error........at that point, i cant turn the puter on normally, and have to reinstall windows xp to get it up and running again. Once up and running, the system sometimes just starts to reboot as if someone hit the reset button (which i have disabled). Im trying to load EQII, and World of Warcraft, and im getting error messages before installation is complete (which cancels all installation). Im not an expert, but have built a system before without any problems. On this o/s installation, im trying to install my games before i down load O/S sp2. So far i havent crashed.

Oh yeah, and how come my computer says my brand new 200gb hard drive only has 128gb of space, of which i have like 126 that im not using? Could this be my problem? bad HDD?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisinghersolo
    Oh yeah, and how come my computer says my brand new 200gb hard drive only has 128gb of space, of which i have like 126 that im not using? Could this be my problem? bad HDD?

That fatal error could be a number of different hardware problems. I suggest first updating the mainboard bios to see if that helps, then if you still have problems try another video card if you think thats the cause or maybe different ram until you find the source of the problem. It could also be a conflict in your sound acceleration in direct X 9C or maybe it has something to do with video acceleration.
    As far as the harddrive, could it be that your using an original version of Windows XP to partion a new harddrive and it can't read that large of a drive? (My version of Win XP can't read an entire big drive until service pk #1 or higher is installed). If so I'd Fdisk (On a Win 98 boot disk) the drive instead of using Win XP to partion it or some thrird party software like Partion magic 8. I'm guessing you probably knew this alraedy but I thought I'd mention it just incase.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 12-26-2004 at 01:01 PM.

Arrow Re: Is there conflicts with AMD64 and windows?

No, i didnt know this about xp, i will try this next. Im about at my wits end now, and will try anything. I tried loading XP on an older drive, with an older cd-rom drive at about mid-night, and my whole system just shut down and rebooted mid install. thats when i just un plugged the thing and let it just sit on the bench. Ive never had this much trouble with putting together a puter before. Having just enough knowledge to be dangerous, Im not sure what to do know; except send the whole damn thing back and try a different mobo.

No, i didnt know this about xp, i will try this next. Im about at my wits end now, and will try anything. I tried loading XP on an older drive, with an older cd-rom drive at about mid-night, and my whole system just shut down and rebooted mid install. thats when i just un plugged the thing and let it just sit on the bench. Ive never had this much trouble with putting together a puter before. Having just enough knowledge to be dangerous, Im not sure what to do know; except send the whole damn thing back and try a different mobo.

Sounds like a serious stabability problem. Are you sure your PSU (Power Supply Unit) is working correctly or if its big and bad enough to run your stuff? Maybe somethings shorting out. Try taking your board out of the case and putting it back in making sure nothings touching something it shouldn't be. If you have 2 system Ram modules only use one of them and then the other (seperatly) if the problem persists incase you have a bad ram module. Also make sure everything is connected correctly.

Does this copy have any Service Packs (1 or 2 will work) integrated with it? Without at least service pack 1, you'll have trouble with larger drives like that. I'd suggest you download Service Pack 2 and integrate it with your Windows XP CD

Make sure you've installed all of the drivers for the motherboard, especially the VIA 4-in-1 chipset drivers. Also, make sure the HDD is connected properly. I've actually seen problems like this (the blue screen, not the incorrect drive size) when the drive wasn't connected properly, oddly enough.

Also, what brand and wattage is your PSU? Look at it to find out...

Is that RAM two 512MB sticks or 1GB? If it's dual 512MB, try using just one. That mobo is known to have some problems with dual-channel RAM configurations if it hasn't had a BIOS update past a certain point. It could also be bad RAM, like Spongebob said.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 12-27-2004 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I'd suggest you download Service Pack 2 and integrate it with your Windows XP CD

Yawgm0th, I didn't know that could be done. Please tell me where to find the files I need to integrate service pack 2 with my Windows XP CD. I would really like to do this to my copy of Windows XP Pro, It would save me alot of time installing it after a reformat and would be nice for Raisinghersolo partitioning his new drive with a version of Windows XP upgraded with service pack 2, he wouldn't need any 3rd party software or Fdisk to make Windows recognize more than the 128GB's when making that first brandnew 200GB NTFS partition on the drive, like I'm assuming he was trying to do with an original version of XP.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 12-28-2004 at 07:53 AM.

I guess I just forgot to put the link in earlier..
    http://www.beefysworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1024

That should give you all the info you need for integrating service packs with Windows XP/2000 installation CDs.

Thread Information