Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: My Motherboard Won't Do ANYTHING...

Default My Motherboard Won't Do ANYTHING...

Anyone know what the problem could be? Everything on my board is plugged in right....ram, cpu, power, everything is in place, but my motherboard won't even turn on. I mean the bios beep codes won't even come on so I can know where the problems at. When I turn it on, the fan spins just for a second and stops, its like if no power is going in it, but I'm pretty sure its not from the power system cause I changed the whole unit and I didn't see any changes. I also put in another mother board in my case and that had the same problem, the bios code didn't respond, but there was power in the mother board this time.

This problem is puzzling me...so just drop your suggestions and I'll try them and see if anything comes out...

Default Re: My Motherboard Won't Do ANYTHING...

It is most likely one of two problems:

- Your motherboard was not given to you with factory default settings and the system you installed is not compatible with these BIOS settings. Reset the CMOS values to factory default and try again. If you still have the same probelm, go to the next issue.

- Your motherboard is grounding out between the standoffs and the board. This is usually caused by one of the metal pads that surround the mounting holes not getting a good contact and causing a grounding issue. Loosen the mounting screws and reseat the motherboard. It usually doesn't have to be completely removed to accomplish this. Tighten the mounting screws again and go from there.

These might not be your problem areas, but it has been the two most common issues to cause the quick power-down from my experience. Hopefully it fixes your trouble.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    It is most likely one of two problems:

- Your motherboard was not given to you with factory default settings and the system you installed is not compatible with these BIOS settings. Reset the CMOS values to factory default and try again. If you still have the same probelm, go to the next issue.

- Your motherboard is grounding out between the standoffs and the board. This is usually caused by one of the metal pads that surround the mounting holes not getting a good contact and causing a grounding issue. Loosen the mounting screws and reseat the motherboard. It usually doesn't have to be completely removed to accomplish this. Tighten the mounting screws again and go from there.

These might not be your problem areas, but it has been the two most common issues to cause the quick power-down from my experience. Hopefully it fixes your trouble.
    I tryed both of your suggestion and it still doesn't work. I took the whole mother board from the case and put it on some cardboard, so I'm pretty sure its not a short cercuit.

I'm thinking that maybe the problem is from the bios. You know how I can do an emergency flash upgrade on it? Or anyway I can boot it from the cd-rom?

If the machine doesn't stay on for more than a split second then there is no way to FLASH the BIOS. You would have to remove the CMOS chip itself from the board and have it reprogrammed. If the mainboard is new you might look into an RMA from either the retailer or the manufacturer.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thread Information