Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Got a problem with new system.

Default Got a problem with new system.

I was playing the game called Homeworld 2 and after awhile my screen goes dark and the system restarts. I noticed a few unwanted lines in the game reflecting of of objectes and carrring off the screen like when a video card overheats. I felt the top of the video card and it all seems cool, The system ram seemed cool, the CPU showed 52 degrees c and 125.5 degrees F in the bios while case temp showed 36 degrees c and 96 degrees F. The chipset heatsink on the mainboard seemed a little hot but I'm not sure if it was abnormally hot. I have good ventalation in the case, front, side, and back fans.
    I have the latest game updates and all my hardware drivers are up to date, the system is not overclocked either. I haven't really had time to test any other games but my kid has been playing games on this system and I haven't heard him complain of problems yet.
    For troubleshoots I've tried turning off the sound acceleration in DXdiag, tried leaving the case panel open for more ventalation, messed with a few bios settings but I havent touched anything major yet like voltage settings, everything is at defualt settings right now.
    In the windows XP event veiwer I'm getting alot of service control manager errors but the information to troubleshoot this is greek to me. I took a snapshop of the one Windows serious recovery error I happened to get after the last restart, all the other previous restarts to this I didn't get the popup error box but luckily got something to go by this time. On previous shutdowns while playing this game I heard popup errors in the background just before the system restarted but was unable to veiw them since the screen went dark.

My system specs are as follows;
    Asus P5GD1 mainboard wit I915 chipset and AMI Bios version 1006.005
    Intel P4 530 LGA775 CPU 3.0 GHZ, votage set at 1.515.
    Kingston 1 GB (DC) DDR 4000 system Ram, frequency set at 200.7 mhz
    cpu-z also shows the max bandwidth as PC 3200 (200Mhz)
    ATI Radeon x700 pro video card (PCI-Express)
    2 raided maxtor sata harddrives
    Foltron 500watt ATX 12v v2.0 PSU
    Last edited by Spongebob; 01-29-2005 at 03:41 AM.

Default Re: Got a problem with new system.

Not sure what would cause this, but go into services.msc and disable the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service. The service can't have an error if it can't run.

Also, make sure you have all the latest Hardware and Critical updates off of Windows Update.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Not sure what would cause this, but go into services.msc and disable the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service. The service can't have an error if it can't run.

Also, make sure you have all the latest Hardware and Critical updates off of Windows Update.

I disabled that and I had all the Win XP updates. I still have the problem. I decided to backdate the ATI videocard drivers to Decembers and that seemed to eliminate the lines on Homeworld 2 that looked like they were cuased by overheating, unfortunatly I still got another system restart. I ran memtest to check the system ram but that checked out ok. I'm stumped. My kid was just playing a game and he said the system froze on him so this isn't looking too good. I'm still getting random errors in the event veiwer for service control manager but couldn't find anything when his game froze. Pic attached.

Update: I seemed to stop the system restarts on that game by either enabling Vsync within the game itself or turning off repost video on S3 resume in the bios, I also updated the Raid & ether net drivers (new this month) so that might have had something to do with it, I'm not sure which was the culprit but I think that was all I adjusted before things started settling down. I'm still getting that one system red flag just as the Pic below shows. Whats computer browser service for anyway?
    Last edited by Spongebob; 01-29-2005 at 01:48 PM.

athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
    DFI infinity nf4 ultra
    thermaltake tsunami dream -black
    seagate sataII 500gb
    evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
    samsung sata dvd-rw
    2x1024 ocz black
    logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
    ocz fatal1ty 550w

Quote Originally Posted by maximus7001

Those are even better yet, but why do you suppose I get this error when I click on the Advanced 3D tab?

Inproper uninstallation of previous drivers is my best guess. Second guess would be incompatability, though the Omegas tend to work with more cards than the Catalysts...

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Inproper uninstallation of previous drivers is my best guess. Second guess would be incompatability, though the Omegas tend to work with more cards than the Catalysts...

Must be an incompatability with the program called Radlinker that came with the Omega drivers, thats what adds the Advanced 3D tab. What is Radlinker anyway? Some videocard overclocking program maybe?

Yeah, but you aren't required to install it...

I have a similar problem but my system is old,

C:\DOCUME~1\Me\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbbac.dir00\Mini020 105-99.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\Me\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbbac.dir00\sysdata .xml

BCCode : c4 BCP1 : 00001003 BCP2 : F4EE2130 BCP3 : 82F1CFE0
    BCP4 : 82216D58 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

error box pops up like yours and computer shuts off several seconds later, im guessing it might be a virus running in safe mode seems to work temporarly.

I was skrewing around is DOS prompt opening system32 programs the was the last thing I did before the problems occured.
    Last edited by Brennan; 02-04-2005 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennan
    I have a similar problem
    System32 files are not a good idea to mess with if you don't know what they are for. You might want to format your harddrive and reinstall your O.S., in your situation that will most likely take care of your problems, I'm about 90% sure my restart problem is with my ATI videocard, the company takes a long time to get drivers right to work near a 100% with ALL software when they first come out with new hardware, I've learned this the hardway through firsthand experience in the past, video games in particular, but once they get it down there not too bad it just seems to take them a little longer and a heck of a lot more tries than the competition, but for now the Omega drivers work good with the game I was having problems with, although I'll still have to iron out that one system event viewer error (COMPUTER BROWSER SERVICE) that I keep getting, I might be formatting before its all said and done, but I really hate to do that since I have over half the households games already installed on this system (listed in pic). Took a while to do all of that installing, updating, and patching....:(
    Last edited by Spongebob; 02-06-2005 at 11:28 PM.

Thread Information