Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Low 12 volt reading

Default Low 12 volt reading

I just installed an MSI Nvidia 6800GT card in my system. When I did a check with Everest I noticed that my +12v was reading 10.69 v.

Now, here's the problem. Everything's working! :)

Could this be a glitch in the voltage reading off the mb?
    If the voltage is really that low am I causing a problem that will hit me later? Temp at idle looks good 47C.

Here's what I have:

Epox 9nda3+ motherboard
    Athlon 64 939 pin 3500
    1 gig pdp ram 2x512
    2 serial hard drives 120 g each.
    2 ide hard drives (60 and a 200)
    Plextor 16x dvdr
    Nvidia 6800GT

Power supply is an Enermax Noisetaker 470w.

I ran Jedi Academy at 1024x768 16 bit with no problems or lockups for an hour.

I have a Thermaltake 560w. power supply I can throw in. This ps was just replaced via rma due to a bad unit that lasted just 2 months. So I'm a little leary about putting a Thermaltake ps back in the box.

Should I fix it or "Leave it as is."

Tom P.

Default Re: Low 12 volt reading

Software is never corect. To correctly measure your rails you would need to buy a multimeter. IF nothing is wrong and everything runs fine then don't worry about it though.

I have a Thermaltake 560w. power supply I can throw in. This ps was just replaced via rma due to a bad unit that lasted just 2 months. So I'm a little leary about putting a Thermaltake ps back in the box.
    Just stick with your current PSU. TT's droop their rails under load. They also are also the loudest PSU's I have ever used and I used a 'Silent' Purepower. The +12V@22A is a bit low. Not too bad, but for systems today it is best to have at least 24A. It is pretty sad the kind of PSu you get for spending $100

Overall TT PSU's are junk. They may be find for some systems, but there are much better options available. They are loud, hot and are underpowered with weak 12v rails. They also label their products as silent when they are nowhere near quite at all.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 03-10-2005 at 08:44 AM.

I'm going to have to disagree with your opinion of the Tt line of power supply. While I'll agree that they don't have as high a 12v amperage as some others, I found their 480w "Butterfly" model to have the most stable power levels across all rails even under load. Fluctuations between load and idle tests show almost no change, something that I've never had with other brands.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Mine's silent... And the 12v is fine under full load with an overclocked system and my 9800 Pro (back when I still had it).

Anyway, if that reading were even close to correct you'd have serious problems, so unless problems start occuring stick with your Enermax. Enermax PSUs are decent.

At this point everything is still running but:

I am getting one crazy thing happening.

When trying to view voltages in the bios the pc locks up. Pc doesn't lock up on any other screen.

Did a bios update and tried both optimized and failsafe settings.

Same result.

Windows is stable. Hard drives are fine. Voltage is steady but at 10.69.
    +5 is at 5.02 and steady. Never changes as viewed by Everest.exe.

cpu voltages are steady.

Temps are nominal:

CPU is at 41C at idle, 50 after playing 3d games.
    case temp is 82 F. (32C?)
    Nvidia card is at 46C.

I'm going to let it go unless something wierd happens.

The fact that it locks up when viewing voltage would likely indicate there's something wrong with the way it reads voltages, which would make sense.

Thread Information