Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help!

I am having troublie with my CD's roms. My BIOS sees my CD's roms (Writer and 48X) and my hard drive. I go into Windows 2000, It sees the drives and they are unreadble. The hard drive works great. My 48x has no light on it. My hard drive and the 48x work off the Primary Master. The writer is the master off the secondary. Neither drive is reading and I am at a lost here. I was planning on buying a new controller card, would this fix my problem? I have never seem this before.
    Windows XP Pro
    P3V4X Asus Motherboard
    Pentium III 866 slot 1 @ 1.2
    ATI 9000 Pro
    1 Gig 150mhz SDRAM
    ATA100 40 gig IBM
    ATA100 Maxtor Ultra Control Card
    MX400 Monster Sound Card
    V.92 Modem
    3 Comm Network Card
    48x24x48 CDRW Rom
    52x Asus CD Rom
    16X DVD Rom

I'm not particularly familiar with the older Asus boards, but the from a performance standpoint, the first thing that I would do is to dump the CD off to the IDE Channel #2. Run your burner as the Channel #2 primary and the CD as the slave (burners sometimes get ugly when they're not in control).

I don't know if this will help your problem, but when things are running again, this will give you a little better hard drive performance. The CD attached to IDE Channel #1 will slow down the hard drive.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Thank you. My 48X cd went bad on me. I don't know how but it did. It was working fine and showed no problems at all. I also bought a ATA100 controller card as well. The controller card made a huge difference in the speed of my system. Thanks again. I work on computers alot and I never have seen a problem like this.
    Windows XP Pro
    P3V4X Asus Motherboard
    Pentium III 866 slot 1 @ 1.2
    ATI 9000 Pro
    1 Gig 150mhz SDRAM
    ATA100 40 gig IBM
    ATA100 Maxtor Ultra Control Card
    MX400 Monster Sound Card
    V.92 Modem
    3 Comm Network Card
    48x24x48 CDRW Rom
    52x Asus CD Rom
    16X DVD Rom

I've had a CD die on me before, and it normally doesn't give much in the way of advance notice. One time it works like a dream, and the next time you're wondering why the damn thing won't read your disk. Oh well... another excuse to go out and buy something faster. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

What Brand was the 48X??

Thread Information