Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need Help Urgently!!!!

Default Need Help Urgently!!!!

Hi all,

I have a bit of a problem and need help as soon as possible. Please bear with me as I'm a bit "dumbarse" when it come to computers. I know the basics but please bear with me.

I unplugged my computer last night and plugged it back in a few minutes later. It failed to boot up. I reset and tried to restart several times with no result. Then all of a sudden it started to boot up. Now my problem is that I get the CPU unworkable message. After pressing F1 it moves on and then I get the NTLDR missing message. Now I'm stuck and don't know what to do.

I need help to try and sort this out. Being the dumbarse that I am I also didn't have backups so I would hate to lose any info on that hard drive (should it come to that).

Many thanks in advance for all your help. If there are any additional questions that will help to resolve this issue then please ask away.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Last edited by GregoryF; 06-24-2005 at 03:15 AM.

Default Re: Need Help Urgently!!!!

Given what you did, sounds like potential hard drive damage. But first, open up the case and make sure everything is seated properly. You'll probably be able to tell, with most things.
    After that, get your Windows XP CD. Most computer companies (assuming this is a brand name computer) will give it to you with the computer (though HP doesn't usually). If you don't have one, then you'll need to get one. Once you have it, put it in the CD drive so that it boots to the CD (there will be a black screen and it will prompt you to "press any key to boot from CD" or something like that).

If it doesn't boot to the CD, you'll either need to pull up a boot menu, which lets you choose to boot from the CD, or you'llneed to go into the BIOS and change it so that it boots from the CD. Do this by pressing a certain button when the computer starts up. Sometimes it's delete, or F2, or F10 or any other F key. Depends on the motherboard. Consult either the motherboard manufacturer's web site or the computer manufacturer's web site, or at least tell me what brand of computer or motherboard you're using. In the BIOS, look around until you find an option to change boot device priority. When you find it, change it so CD is first and hard drive is 2nd.

After the CD starts to boot, you'll see a blue menu that will say it's loading various things. Just wait. Eventually, it will get to a screen where you're given several options. Pick the one that says something like "To repair an installation of Windows XP using the recovery console, press R." After that, a black command-line interface (where you type commands, rather than clicking things with your mouse like you normally would) will pop up and ask you what installation you want to log into. Unless there are multiple options, in which case I'll need you to post what they are, just type "1" (without quotes) and press enter. After that, type "fixboot" (again, no quotes) and press enter. Unless it isn't a hard drive problem at all or it's a more serious hard drive problem, that should fix the "NTLDR is missing" message.

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy response. As far as doing soomething wrong I can't see what that would have been. I had just bought a new desk and had unhooked everything to "transplant" it to the new desk. The only thing I can see that may have happened was when I hooked up the speakers. I think they may have been on when I plugged them in. I heard a "click" and then everything was down and didn't start up again.

Thanks,
    Greg

PS. I'm running Windows 2000 as opposed to XP. Is the start up the same?

Essentially. Some of the prompts you will recieve will vary slightly, but the process should be next to identical under Windows 2000.

Here's the update. I installed a new battery (it was just due for one) and reset everything to where it should be. It starts to boot up and makes it all the way to the point where windows prepares to load. It gets to the end of the status bar where and just as windows is about to load it craps out ans starts itself all over again. It just keep looping like that over and over again. I'm at my wits end. Any more ideas?

Cheers,
    Greg

A new battery... Unless you're talking about a laptop, the only battery in a computer is the CMOS battery on the motherboard, and I doubt you need to replace this... If it weren't for your previous comment about needing to move it to a new desk and unhook everything, I'd think you were talking about a laptop.

You could try reinstalling Windows, though I'm not sure that will fix this.

It could also be instability caused by something else. Is it possible that it's overheating? It could be RAM gone bad (test this by clicking on the link to memtest in my signature), it could even be a faulty IDE cable going to the hard drive. It could even be an insufficient PSU.

But you haven't provided any information whatsoever about the computer. I don't know if this is a basic $500 Dell or a $3000 self-made gaming PC. It would help to have some more information about the hardware in question.

Hey, I had this happen to me over the last week. I have learned a few things. If you are still down.(God I hope not) try this. on the boot up hit the f11 key several times while it is starting to boot. Windows 2000/xp has a built in command that will take you to a new screen. pick the boot with out auto reboot. This will allow the blue screen of death to come up so you can read the real error message. Hopefully you can get a restart from there.

If not you might have gotten a driver misloaded If that is the case you can go into safe mode and disable ones drive (CD ext) to see if it is spomething that easy.

First you can try this put you cd in and do a boot from the cd. afte the windows prompt comes up click on load new windows. It will check your drive and tell you you have another copy of windows installe. Do you want to attempt to repair this copy. ckick yes and keep your fingers crossed. It will work about 50% of the time.

Finally you can do a full reinstall in the old windows file but you will lose all programs related to MS. You will kepp every other file.

I hope this helps.

Thread Information