Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Bought a new monitor - now I get freezes!

Default Bought a new monitor - now I get freezes!

Hi there,

I bought a new 19" LCD - and was overjoyed with it. It's the Hyundai L90D+ and it rocks. One maaaaaajor problem. Give it a little while and if I'm doing something which has a lot of graphics - I.e: watching a movie, playing battlefield 2 - bang, it suddenly freezes! I have to reboot the pc.

It's almost like it's struggling to process the graphics on the screen. Can't describe it.

I am using an Intel 2.8Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 200Gb Maxtor, 80Gb Maxtor, 19" LCD, Radeon 9800 Pro. It also would be worth mentioning that my card sometimes says: "Power supply not connected to the card" and won't let me start. So I have to open the case and push the power cable in there, and reseat the card, and then it seems to boot fine. I am running winxp pro sp2.

I am running the latest catalyst drivers.

I am defragging my c: now just in case that has anything to do with it. It's so annoying. My old monitor, 17" AOC never had this problem. That's what makes me think the problem is centred around the graphics card outputting to a bigger screen, therefore hogging more resource? I could be talking through my backside here though. Just speculation.

Any bright ideas oh guru's? Few questions:

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->1) How do I check the power of my PSU?
    2) For my system as detailed above, what PSU would you recommend, I think I have a 450, but can't be sure.
    3) What should my system temp be running at...got a feeling heat may be an issue?

Default Re: Bought a new monitor - now I get freezes!

Odds are that if you are not sure what your psu is and it came with the case that it could be what is causing your problem. So you mentioned that it only does this with your new monitor? Have you ruled this out be trying your old one for a few days. You also mentioned heat, what do you have for cooling and are the heatsinks clean?
    Last edited by maximus7001; 07-24-2005 at 09:00 AM.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w