Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Random crashes

Default Random crashes

Hey guys

Ok you guys have heard me complaining about this problem for a while now. When i try to play games the screen will go black and my computer will basically crash but not shut off. Ive shut off all oc'ing ive replaced graphics card, tested ram and now i just replaced the motherboard. Still does it, and another symptom is my music will crackle sometimes when i try to listen in winamp.

I am beyond frustrated with this, i seem to have a haunted computer. The only thing left is maybe the processor is screwed up or something. Any advice is as always appreciated.

AMD Edit: Please read this, have retitled your thread and it would be greatly appreciated if more care would be used in future threads, thank you for your compliance.
    Last edited by amd_man2003; 08-08-2005 at 02:48 PM.
    Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz @ 3.4 ghz
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Nvidia Geforce FX 6800 GT core 400 mem 1050
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower

Default Re: Random crashes

What kind of temperatures are you getting?

Also, the PSU could be a problem. It should be enough for the system if it's at stock, but it's possible that that's not the case.

Post Re: Random crashes

woops sorry about the title,

temps are good, i have a watercooling setup (had this problem since installing it) However the northbridge is really hot to the touch and will burn my finger. I just got a antec 430 watt which i think should be enough. Also, i ran Prime95 all night and this morning it was fine...

im not quite sure what to do
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower

Do you have a water block on the video card? It's possible that for whatever reason, the video card isn't being cooled properly which could mean that a 3D game would cause the computer to crash while Prime95 would obviously unnaffect it. That said, that's not a common symptom from overheating as the card is more likely to give artifacts or just fry before causing the screen to go black and crashing the computer.

I doubt the northbridge is the problem, but you could get an HSF for it. It couldn't hurt and would be pretty cheap. Even if it doesn't fix your problem, it might help with overclocking.

Other than all that, the only thing I could think of would be software. Assuming you have DirectX 9.0C, the latest Intel chipset drivers and the latest nVidia Forceware, I don't see what the problem would be.

i had a waterblock on it in the beginning, but i thought that was what was causing it, but since then ive replaced the card as well as i now have a nV silencer on it....

im considering trying a new psu, ive reinstalled forceware... like i said, the only things i havent tested is the CPU, and now the PSU... i feel like i could buy a whole new computer and still have this problem
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower

Your Northbridge being hot is the problem hands down. If it is burning to the touch, it is way too hot. I would buy a new cooler for it or stick the block back on it, and then if the problem persists do a fresh Windows install if it all possible, and I believe that would alleviate all of your troubles.

reinstalling windows has been the one thing i havent done, and have been trying not to do. Im just wondering why my northbridge is running so hot now in the first place... but i will try that
    ABIT A17 Motherboard
    1 GB PC3700 DDR-SDRAM
    Watercooled CPU and GPU
    WD 80 GB 7200rpm HDD
    WD 250 GB 7200 HDD
    Atapi CD-ROM 48x
    HP DVD Writer 300n
    Realtek 6 Channel Audio
    Windows XP Professional
    430 watt Antec TruePower