Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New system won't stop restarting

Default New system won't stop restarting

A bit over a week ago, I purchased a brand new system. I got the parts from newegg.com and put it together on my own. Before I go into the my problem I'll start out by posting my specs and links to newegg.com for each part.

<!--StartFragment -->Case:
    ASPIRE X-QPACK-AL/420 Black/Silver Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail
    Motherboard:
    <!--StartFragment -->MSI RS480M2-IL Socket 939 ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    CPU:
    <!--StartFragment -->AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - Retail
    Video Card:
    <!--StartFragment -->Leadtek PX6800GT TDH Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail (Unlike the picture it actually only takes up the pci express slot, but is still large enough to block out use of the first pci slot)
    Sound Card:
    <!--StartFragment -->CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS 70SB035000000 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
    RAM:
    <!--StartFragment -->CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
    HD:
    <!--StartFragment -->Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
    DVDR: <!--StartFragment -->
    PLEXTOR Black SATA DVD Burner Model PX-712SA/SW-BL - Retail

Now for the problem.
    The system will randomly restart. I don't mean randomly like 5 minutes after I boot it up I can expect a restart. I mean, sometimes it will go a day or two without a hitch, or maybe it'll just restart once a day, or maybe 6 times in an hour. Occasionally, it will restart once and then restart immediately again before it can even get through the BIOS (which can then happen 2 or 3 more times before I make it back to windows).

The computer has also locked up about 5 times since I put it together. I'll be playing a game, or listening to music while browsing the web. And the sound will begin to skip, then the computer will lag and freeze, I hear soundbits repeating, and then I just get a terrible noise in my headphones. One time, before I restarted my computer after one of these crashes, it actually displayed a blue screen. In short it said that windows had to shut down to prevent damage to my system, and suggested that I make sure all software for every part was installed.

What I've tried so far.
    At first I thought it was the power cable to the motherboard, upon inspection it was loose. It's a 24pin plug with a 20pin cable, so the clip to keep it secure doesn't line up (which is displayed as normal in the mobo manual). After securing the cable back into the plug, I took the computer to a weekend lan party where it ran flawlessly for over 36hours. A little while later, after returning home the problem started up again, and resecuring the cable did not help. The problem would persist with the cable firmly in place.

Then it was suggested to me that it was a RAM problem. I immediately took out my 1gig of ram and replaced it with a sturdy&reliable 512stick from my old computer. Again I was lured into a falce sense of accomplishment as it proceeded to run for the better part of a day before the problem reaccuring.

I have updated all the drivers to their most current versions in an attempt to fix the problem, I also updated the mobo BIOS, but to no avail. The problems continue.

Using the sound related freeze ups I mentioned above as a clue, I thought that maybe there was a conflict with the Audigy2 ZS and the mobo (an older one of my computers had the issue, and was only resolved after removing the soundcard). So I went about and pulled out the Audigy 2 (which occupies PCI slot #2, since the massive heatsink on the video card prevents anything from moving into slot #1) and uninstalled all the creative drivers. I did this specific procedure maybe an hour and a half before writing this. And the reason I'm writing this is because not long after that, as I was browsing this forum for hints to my problem, while listening to music, it restarted again.

People have mentioned heat problems. While admittly the 6800GT's do run hot, very hot infact. I have not seen it surpass 70c, and the card will clock itself down at 135c to prevent heat damage. And the heat on the CPU has been rather nominal as well, and taking the case off of the computer certainly hasn't helped it.

What I haven't tried.
    I really haven't adjusted the BIOS settings at all. The most I did was locate and disable the onboard sound. Which then after I tried to play BF2, would render my mouse unable to function as soon as I got into a game.

I also have not tried a full reformat&reinstall.

I have not taken the computer apart and rebuilt it. The damn video card barely fits in the case and getting it out and back in again is alot of pain.

Default Re: New system won't stop restarting

Most likely your Power Supply cannot handle that load. But before buying a new one I would recommend try taking the heatsink/fan of the CPU and putting Artic Silver 5 thermal compound on it and reinstalling the HSF and see how that works.

Update: This morning, a little after I wrote the above post, I took out the powersupply and replaced it with my old 300w PSU from my old desktop computer.
    Well all of that went smoothly for about 12 hours. It was running perfectly, until just now, while playing World of Warcraft,it restarted again.

I think the problem may be just the motherboard. After rereading some of the reviews on newegg.com. I seem to be experiancing the same problem as at least one of the reviewers.

If changing out the PSU worked for a while, thats your problem no questions asked. Get a bigger PSU (500W or more) from a decent company and that ought to fix your problems.

Thread Information